Help! I need Somebody! Help!

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Mecham
PV Lover

Help! I need Somebody! Help!

Unread postby Mecham » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:14 am

Hey guys,
I am stuck in a rut right now. I just cant get completley verticle. Can you guys give me some/millions of pointers/walkthroughs/tips/ideas/jokes/anythings to help me out? The link takes you to a video of 3 vaults. i am on a 13' 155 holding at 12'6. Anything helps... thanks. If you need another format, just let me know

http://www.mechamcompany.com/jared/JaredPoleVault.mp4
Just you wait...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:29 am

You're doing a lot of stuff right... just looks to me like you are blocking with your bottom arm.

NICE JOB on posting video!! :yes:

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:14 am

Hey bro - it looks like Becca is right. Without collapsing your bottom arm more its going to be really hard to get your hips up. You can see in the video that not collapsing the arm and getting the hips up causes you to 'sit up' as the pole is recoiling (watch your shoulders and head in the video as the pole begins to recoil). Also, it is much harder to finish the swing (or invert as some call it) once the pole has begun to recoil (your body and the pole are then working against each other and there is a great deal of energy loss).
Anyway, you're doing a good job with a tall plant/swinging from the top arm at the beginning of the vault, but then you 'block' your swing with your bottom arm not allowing the body to come aligned with the pole. Remember that you want to align yourself with or 'cover' the poll during the top end of the vault, which cant be done without breaking the bottom arm and pushing your hips up while dropping your shoulders back.
Hopefully all of that made sense. Good luck!
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:04 pm

So... your saying i need to collapse my left arm and center it on my body? How can i practice collapsing my left arm? do i just need to do it? How can i work myself into the verticle (inverted) position?
Just you wait...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:11 pm

Mecham wrote:So... your saying i need to collapse my left arm and center it on my body? How can i practice collapsing my left arm? do i just need to do it? How can i work myself into the verticle (inverted) position?

It's not as much that you want to collapse your arm, as it is you don't want to get it locked out in the first place.

Try narrowing up your grip a bit and think about pushing your left arm above your head instead of in front of you.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:29 pm

narrow my grip:moving my left hand up more. and pushing my left hand up instead of out. How much should i narrow my grip? one hand hold or two? How do you measure your hand holds?
Just you wait...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:40 pm

Mecham wrote:narrow my grip:moving my left hand up more. and pushing my left hand up instead of out. How much should i narrow my grip? one hand hold or two? How do you measure your hand holds?

Well try it from a short run on a small pole... try gripping an elbow apart (like grab with your top hand, put your elbow on the pole, and grab your bottom hand right below your elbow).

It will feel weird at first, but see if you can swing better like that. Then, you can slowly make your grip a little wider, as long as you are still swinging well.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:56 pm

Well to report, the day after i posted this topic, i went over 15. (the bungee in the clip is at 14.) But it seemed like i could only do it that day. Anything else i should work on?
Just you wait...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:57 pm

Tell Reg (or whoever it was in the video) to stop tapping you :P

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:41 pm

Reg isnt tapping, he just puts his hand there. He doesnt push at all. I dont think? :confused:
Just you wait...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:13 pm

Mecham wrote:Reg isnt tapping, he just puts his hand there. He doesnt push at all. I dont think? :confused:

He's not shoving you or anything... but if he's not doing much, why have him do anything at all?

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:37 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
Mecham wrote:Reg isnt tapping, he just puts his hand there. He doesnt push at all. I dont think? :confused:

He's not shoving you or anything... but if he's not doing much, why have him do anything at all?
I think he has his hands there just in case we dont make the jump. Also we have lots of newbies so i think it might be a habit
Just you wait...

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”