What's the overall best school to vault at?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Re: ?

Unread postby Peepers PV » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:38 pm

Wow! Y'all are awesome! These are things I will definitely have to keep in mind when I go on official visits next year... o and BZ-
vaulter580 wrote:juat pick the school with the hotest chicks!!!

I don't think that would help me much, since I am a girl ha ha ;). And I have another question to throw out there, some of y'all have already answered it but:

What are some good questions to ask a coach when you're on an official visit? I ask because I can never tell if coaches are really good coaches or just good recruiters lol.

Lori
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

nolevault
PV Fan

Unread postby nolevault » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:48 pm

When choosing a school there are several different items that must be addressed:
First and foremost, you need to go to a school that will meet your academic needs, since very few college vaulters ever succeed as a professional pole vaulter.

Second, you need to choose a school where you feel comfortable with the coaching staff, athletes, and the surrounding environment. If you don't have a good repor with the coaches and athletes, you will be miserable. Make sure they have poles that you will be able to jump on too.

Third, you need to choose a school where there is a proven track record of improvement, not necessarily where everyone good is going. It's easy to look good if your recruits are already all american h.s vaulters.

Fouth, you need to choose a school where you will get some competing time. As Becca mentioned, if you are the seventh best vaulter on the team, you won't get much attention or chances to vault at meets.

Last, but not least, choose a school where the coach has the same beliefs in the vault as you do. Ask questions regarding their philosophy. Why should you learn to vault all over again just because the coach doesn't like something you're doing.

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth!
The greatest gift I ever received was the look on a young vaulters' face after setting a PR!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:43 am

nolevault wrote:Last, but not least, choose a school where the coach has the same beliefs in the vault as you do. Ask questions regarding their philosophy. Why should you learn to vault all over again just because the coach doesn't like something you're doing.

Here are some things to think about discussing with the coach:

What they do during fall training?
- When do practices start?
- When do they actually start vaulting?
- What kind of running/lifting/gymnastics stuff do they do in the fall?
- What do they do once they start vaulting? Drills? Short run? What kind of progression do they do from short run to long run?

What happens if you are hurt?
- What kind of athletic training facilities do they have?
- What would happen to your scholarship if you were hurt and missed all or most of the season?
- Or what if you had an injury that let you compete but kept you from doing your best?

How long of a run will they want you to compete from?
Do they like to use bungees or crossbars in practice?
What happens if you need a pole they don't have? Does their budget allow for mid season pole purchases (like if you make a lot of improvement and are on bigger poles than expected)

Also, ask these questions to the kids on the team too. See if their answers line up with the coach's.

Now whether or not you want a coach with a similar or different style than your high school coach is another matter. It's going to be totally different for everyone...

As a general answer I would say that if you enjoy your current stlye of coaching, and feel like you have a lot more room for improvement, you should probably look for a coach who has the same philosophy.

If you feel like you are about as good as you are going get with the current style of coaching, you should probably look for something different (if you think it will help of course).

If you get a coach with a different philosophy, it may suck at first. They may completely change your vault. This is part of why many vaulters do not improve much their first year. This is frustrating, but worth it if you think it will help you be the best vaulter you can be. Down the road you may jump a lot higher.

If you get a coach wth the same philosophy it will probably be an easier transition. If it's a good philosophy you should continue to improve.

I hope some of this helps all you high schoolers!

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:54 am

seems like you have been through this before. ;) wonderful suggestions.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:33 pm

yeah. poles are crucial. Thats about the best thing our school does for us. When Brian Hunter left he took most of his poles (including his 6L poles which are what i need for my 8) so our head coach has had to buy me 10-12 poles in the last 2 years, no grudges on his part. Now if i bring up tryin to get some$$, forget about it. so if u want poles but no scholarship come to VT. haha
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:18 am

This discussion makes me very proud to be a member of this forum.

It's also very helpful for me as a high school coach.

Great job.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:20 am

Where was this discssion when I was deciding what college to attend?
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

Chelsrose
PV Newbie

Unread postby Chelsrose » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:43 am

id have to say that UCLA is the best pole vault school to attend, simply because Yoo Kim is there ;) and Curran is awsome!!
"Im drawing my favorite animal..it's called a liger..it's a cross between a lion and a tiger.
AHAH"

vaultmom
PV Fan

colleges

Unread postby vaultmom » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:29 pm

This has been a very good thread. I just want to add that the basics everyone have mentioned are excellent ... However, I would say that girls should make sure the program and the coach that they have is suited for them . Many mens coaches don't do well coaching girls. the comments about Equipment and facilties are excellent. I love the Nebraska indoor facility ! But that is a nasty cold windy place in the winter ! BYU has an excellent coach in Larry Berryhill , the latest technology for training, great weight rooms and pools, excellent outdoor facilties , good travel program, but a lousy indoor fieldhouse. They do have a great selection of poles and they love "grooming" vaulters. So a 14 footer can walk on. Lousy girls vault coach. Paradise Valley junior college in Arizona has a nice track and a good coach. Trent Powell ( 18'2" ) won the JC national championship there a few years ago.

Having read the posts by Trey... My bro in law knows your Dad. And while you were in high school... my Bro in law would travel to meet with your Dad in Alabama ( business ) and they would compare your results to our boys results... He was always telling us about this boy Trey and how high he was jumping. So I followed you thru high school. hahha, sorry this is hokey old lady stuff. Glad to hear you are doing so well in the decathalon. Small world in Track and field. :yes:
Bob's Mom
Raise the bar

rickkane
PV Beginner

Unread postby rickkane » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:23 pm

who has had the most number of all americans and national champs in the last ten years, who has had the a silver and gold medalist in the last teo olympics. There should be no question about what is the best college to train at.
all i need is a cool buzz and some tastey waves

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:21 pm

This isn't a best school that will fit everyone. It depends on the person and what they are willing to do to get better, it has little to do with the school itself. Coaching can make a diffrence however. it is like the saying that Its not the arrow, its the indian, well its the indian not the tribe.
i think before my days are done.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:05 am

Here is another opinion about what to look for in a coach.

http://www.frebergsports.com/perfectcoach.htm

Return to “Pole Vault - College”