Help with bottom arm/take off

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
kwantana
PV Beginner
Expertise: High school Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12 feet
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Bell

Help with bottom arm/take off

Unread postby kwantana » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:39 pm

In this video im on a 12 155 pacer going from 5 steps (10 total) this is honestly one of the best examples of my bottom arm although its still atrocious it usually collapses fully and i have a hard time getting in deeper on bigger poles. Currently I run from 6 steps (12 total) with a 13 160 essex (holding 12) but last meet i snapped it so i have to move to my 13,6 155 skypole carbon (also holding 12) and im having a hard time getting into the pit on it. i think its mainly due to my bottom arm. Any help or advice would be well appreciated thank you!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIvogzpQgYQ

bungee is at 14 feet my run is from 60 feet take off should be around 9 foot 4 inches
weight:147
height: 5,5
Sophomore in highschool been jumping since 7th grade
"Put some swing on it"

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Help with bottom arm/take off

Unread postby CoachEric » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:58 am

What exactly do you think is wrong with your bottom arm?

kwantana
PV Beginner

Unread postby kwantana » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:15 pm

When I plant the pole my bottom arm collapses in instead of pushing out creating separation
"Put some swing on it"

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes

Unread postby CoachEric » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:02 pm

Alright, so your model for the vault is incorrect. The bottom arm should NOT push out during takeoff. The bottom arm must be allowed to bend so that your head, shoulders, and check can move through your arms and create the necessary position to initiate a swing. Take a look at this image of Bubka - this is exactly the correct position for the bottom arm post-takeoff. Notice that the left arm is bent with the left hand right over the top of his head.

Bubka_Take-Off.jpg
Bubka_Take-Off.jpg (45.67 KiB) Viewed 32362 times

Your idea of what you are attempting to do is calling "blocking." When a vaulter takes off with the bottom arm locked out, pushing against the pole, the equal and opposite reaction is that the vaulters arm is also pushing the shoulder back, preventing the shoulders and chest from moving, and preventing a swing.

While it is true that the bottom arm should be as extended as possible BEFORE the pole tip hits the box, as you leave the ground, the left arm must be allowed to bend. There is a "realignment" after this point, where the vaulter makes space with the pole, but you're not there yet.

If you broke a pole recently, I'm guessing you've been trying to push the bottom arm out hard, and then you're driving your hands down as you attempt to swing (usually called rowing). This is what probably caused your pole to break, and it's the wrong way to vault. Rowing, much like blocking, stops the natural swing, prevents the shoulders from moving, and forces pressure down the length of the pole, causing it to unbend prematurely. This is also probably the reason you're having trouble making the pit.

If you're having trouble getting into the pit, drop your grip. The first priority is to make the pit reliably, for the sake of your confidence, and then raise your grip gradually when you blow through. Always focus to keeping the hands up when you vault. The hands and elbows must be over your head while you swing. Narrow your grip slightly so you can get the bottom hand higher before the pole tip hits the box, and so that the bottom hand can move over the head while the shoulders move through.

You might post more videos here so we can get a complete picture of what's going wrong, because the video you provided doesn't look so bad.

kwantana
PV Beginner

Unread postby kwantana » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:50 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHI_P0nd2-4

Here's a much better example of my problem.

running from 4 steps with a 13 130.

My bottom arm almost hits me in the head upon planting the pole haha
"Put some swing on it"

CoachEric
PV Whiz

Unread postby CoachEric » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:18 pm

Ok that's helpful. Believe it or not, your bottom arm is not as bad as you think it is. Your left hand is too close to your head, but that's not because of anything you're doing wrong post-takeoff. It has everything to do with your pole carry and plant motion. Your left hand does not get high enough before the pole tip hits the box, and you are not doing a very good job of making the pole rotate upward as you take off.

Here's everything you need to know: http://artofthevault.com/the-plant-simp ... specified/

Practice your plant motion and plant timing. Do the walking drill every day. You have to improve your awareness of your plant motion and plant timing so that your left arm is fully extended BEFORE takeoff. This allows you the space you're looking for so that you can hit the proper elastic position and maintain space.

kwantana
PV Beginner

Unread postby kwantana » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:01 pm

thanks a lot! i was trying to get my pole in position to plant faster today so that id have enough time to fully extend my top arm it worked a lot better im still pretty iffy on the pole but i was able to at least get some what on the pit. If I keep honing my plant mechanics and keeping a tall top arm i should be on it in no time.
"Put some swing on it"

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”