How easily will a pole break?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Naughty Joe
PV Newbie
Expertise: Junior year high school
Lifetime Best: 10'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

How easily will a pole break?

Unread postby Naughty Joe » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:00 pm

Just found a 13' 160 Pacer FX in my school's field house. I was pushing up on it against a wall, bending it, and it really gave way more than was expecting. I weigh 162lbs. Will I end up just blowing through this pole, or worse, breaking it? Also, on the label it says some s*** about 'Bestflex' and how it's bendier than other traditional 160 poles.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: How easily will a pole break?

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:50 pm

I won't answer your specific "Pacer FX" and "Bestflex" questions, but I can assure you that there's a lot more information needed to answer your question of whether or not you'll break this pole than merely quoting the weight rating of the pole, and stating your weight. A lot more.

For example, your height/reach, your top-hand grip, your bottom-hand grip, your sprint speed, your speed on takeoff, and (arguably most importantly) your technique. Even your PR.

Since your PR is 10-6, you should not be toying with the idea of getting a big bend in your vaults. Instead, your should focus on learning to vault correctly, with just a bit of bend.

So from what you've told me so far, I'd avoid that pole and find one that's a lot more difficult to bend against the wall. And it's not because you're a mere 2 pounds over the weight rating of the pole. Instead, it's because you're only vaulting 10-6, so your technique isn't anywhere near ready for a big bend.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: How easily will a pole break?

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:05 am

Naughty, naughty Joe ...

I took a look at your 13 posts (all recent) and they have a common theme - your PR is 10-6, yet you're asking all the wrong questions related to bending the pole.

Here's one example: http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=53961&p=216790&hilit=naughty+joe#p216790, where you say:
I started bending on a 12 foot pole last (sophomore) year, and I was coming along fine till it broke.

Honestly, Joe, I don't think you were "coming along fine" at all. I think your were focused on all the wrong things. You were focused on bending the pole, and not focused on learning proper technique.

Naughty, naughty Joe. Naughty, naughty. :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”