First experience with essex poles

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

dbulick
PV Fan

First experience with essex poles

Unread postby dbulick » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:46 pm

Found out today that my coach had bought a couple 14'6 essex poles, so I decided to give them a go today. I must say that they bend much differently than the pacer's that I am used to jumping on. I think we may be getting a couple 5 meter ones in a couple weeks, so i'll see how that goes when we get them. So far I like them so we will see how they do from a full approach if we get the bigger ones.

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:08 pm

They are good. Did you try the Carbons?

dbulick
PV Fan

Unread postby dbulick » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:30 pm

Ya they are essex carbons.

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:32 pm

How do the carry weights compare to carbonFX, or where they to short to tell?

dbulick
PV Fan

Unread postby dbulick » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:19 pm

They felt a bit heavier I think, even then the 15's we have. They are shaped differently too, not really round.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Dbulick, I would like to thank you

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:14 am

dbulick wrote:They felt a bit heavier I think, even then the 15's we have. They are shaped differently too, not really round.

[color=blue]Dbulick, I would like to thank you for taking the time to try our poles I truly feel that a vaulter must sample anything new to find the tools to help him do his or her best.

I think you will find that the carbon pole in the 445 lengths gives a smaller grip.
When we design the poles we do require a stiffer butt and all the weight we saved is used to provide a smaller grip and with our stiffer butt the pole has the feeling of a slightly heavier carry weight.

As you move up in the lengths the pole will demonstrate a better carry weight however when we go head to head with Pacer carbons we can match the overall weight, but they have us on the carry weight due to the less stiffer butt area, which we feel is important in our designs.

We had Ryan from Mcneese working at our plant over the Christmas Holiday, and we had the opportunity to see his poles as he checked the flex numbers. We were so surprised to see that his Pacer carbons weighed more than the UCS Spirits he had that were not carbon. Sometimes you have to put more glass in a carbon to balance your loads.

If the carbon holds too much of the load, the rest of the pole will not perform properly. So in some sizes you can find “Sâ€Â

Flying.Scotsman
PV Newbie
Expertise: 18ft+ Pole vaulter
Lifetime Best: 18,04Ft
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Luke Cutts

Re: First experience with essex poles

Unread postby Flying.Scotsman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:35 am

I'm looking into ordering some 5.10m Essex Recoil Advance poles, but I'm unsure what they will be like to vault on. I have previously used the 4.60m versions, They gave a very good kick from the recoil, compared to my UCS poles that I'm currently using. But is the feeling the same on the longer lengths of poles??

I currently use 5m 15.5-14.2 flex UCS poles, but I'm also not too sure what the conversion would be from UCS to Essex, Any advice?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Dbulick, I would like to thank you

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:14 pm

ESSX wrote:So in some sizes you can find “Sâ€Â

Thanks for taking the time to explain your poles, Bruce.

This personal touch is a big part of why you reach your target market so well with what they want and need. :yes:

Your last message became garbled. Could you please add back what we missed.

Thanks.
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”