Pole rack for pickup truck

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Pole rack for pickup truck

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:22 pm

I just bought a Toyota Tacoma 4-door (extended cab, not crew cab) with 6-foot bed and I need to install something to carry poles. I have considered getting a Thule setup for the cab and some kind of rack on the back of the bed, as well as a full rack overhanging the cab and a half-rack on one side of the truck. I'd prefer not to drill if I don't have to, and I have no welding skills whatsoever.
Another issue is that I have a rail-mounted toolbox already in the front of the bed. I'd prefer not to move that as well, but I guess I'm considering moving it back a little and drilling some new holes if I have to squeeze in a rack between that and the rear window.
Anyone have similar issues getting poles on a pickup?? Any advice for products/installation?
Thanks!

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Re: Pole rack for pickup truck

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:14 am

I've used a Yakima DryDock "Y" bar to carry poles for years and it works great. https://www.yakima.com/drydock
I put a Yakima bar across the front of the factory roof rack on my SUV and the Y bar in the receiver at the back, bungee one or more pole bags or individual poles to the two bars and I'm off. I've travelled for hours at 70+ mph with no problems. Set up and take down are less than 5 minutes.
May the Force be with you!

stormvault
PV Fan

Re: Pole rack for pickup truck

Unread postby stormvault » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:29 pm

Get a ladder rack. It installs over the bed of the truck.
http://www.etrailer.com/lr-2015_Toyota_Tacoma.htm

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”