Old FiberSport pole

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Old FiberSport pole

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:37 pm

We found this in shed. Label is worn out, don't know weight rating. Any clues?
IMG_20150825_182425.jpg
IMG_20150825_182425.jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 13115 times
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Old FiberSport pole

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi Pogo Stick, we haven't heard from you for a couple years on PVP! Welcome back! :)

FibreSport was a forerunner of ESSX, and was designed and built by Bruce Caldwell.

He or Bubba Sparks can probably give you some information about it, but what is it that you want to know?

Flex #s are rather useless without the context of other similar weight poles, so even if they could tell you the flex, that wouldn't help you much, since it's an obsolete, odd-ball brand.

You may be better off to calculate your own flex measurements on it, and then on comparable popular name-brand poles, to determine where it fits in flex-wise. :idea:

Or you could just grip low, and keep raising your grip until it starts to feel similar to other brand poles of known flex. ;)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:36 am

Thanks Kirk! I was lurking most of the time - had nothing to say, so keep my mouth shut. :-)

As you can see in my profile Władysław Kozakiewicz is my favorite vaulter and he was jumping on Bruce's Fiber Sport poles. This is the first time ever I put my hands on one Fiber Sport pole. It's 4.60m (15') long and way too stiff for me - I'm still struggling with 13' poles.

I was digging today in pole shed and have found another Fiber Sport: 110/12'. This small beauty has engraved info, as well as serial number: AFHS12XX.

I have also found one 4.75m (15' 7") Nordic pole without label, as well as two old 4.60m (15") poles: Pacer Carbon and Pacer 3 (AMF) poles, both without labels. Also found few big Catapole's (black and blue) well known to you. Will check their labels next week.

Forum does not allow me to attach the photos ("Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."), so I put them here:
https://app.box.com/s/6l40i9rnnst3t1q6w0bucdiqhbslugm7
-- Pogo

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:48 am

Pogo Stick wrote: I have also found ... [a] few big Catapole's (black and blue) well known to you. Will check their labels next week.

Where did you find all these poles? In Vancouver, Canada or in Split, Croatia? :confused:

If you found any black 16-0 Catapoles at Bear Creek Park, then they may have been mine! I may have left a few there.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:52 pm

KirkB wrote:
Pogo Stick wrote: I have also found ... [a] few big Catapole's (black and blue) well known to you. Will check their labels next week.

Where did you find all these poles? In Vancouver, Canada or in Split, Croatia? :confused:

Vancouver, St. Georges School. ;)

If you found any black 16-0 Catapoles at Bear Creek Park, then they may have been mine! I may have left a few there.

There is at least one black Catapole and at least one has with 550 label (not sure is it 550+). Will check next week and let you know exact colors and labels.
-- Pogo

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:27 pm

Pogo Stick wrote:
KirkB wrote:

Vancouver, St. Georges School. ;)

There is at least one black Catapole and at least one has with 550 label (not sure is it 550+). Will check next week and let you know exact colors and labels.

I was wrong - no 550 poles. I've found 1650, 1655 and 1660. Cannot attach photos, so I added them here:
https://app.box.com/s/6l40i9rnnst3t1q6w0bucdiqhbslugm7
-- Pogo

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:32 am

You've found quite a collection of old poles, but they're still all newer than mine. And Władysław Kozakiewicz was just a young kid when I was on my 550+ poles. :)

Try sending Bruce Caldwell or Bubba Sparks a PM to find out more about the FibreSports pole. Like you, I know they lurk here on PVP. :D

Good luck with all those poles!

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”