tool for developing core and invert muscle control

Got something for sale? Looking to buy something? Post it here, but make sure to read the rules first!

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

DLM
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Master, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 12.6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

tool for developing core and invert muscle control

Unread postby DLM » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:09 am

I use this piece of equipment to help my vaulter develop there core control and to get a feel for which muscles are being used in the invert and how to use them.
just thought I would send out these photos, so that if there are other coaches out there that are looking for Ideas or tools to help teach there vaulter here is one.
I make and sell them, but the money is not the object here, It's about the teaching. If you feel you would like to make your own that's great, if you need more information about the size of the equipment or the size of the material please feel free to txt me. If you would like me to make you one that's OK too. I will try to attach a video of it in use if I can. (youtube, under pole vault training equipment, by Dan McGuinn)
_IGP8641 pp.JPG
_IGP8643 pp.JPG
_IGP8645 pp.JPG

I am located in Tumwater Washington
Last edited by DLM on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Re: tool for developing core and invert muscle control

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:30 am

Is it portable and how much to purchase then ship to Illinois?

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby GasPasser » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:27 pm

Do you have a video of it in use? I'd like to see the drills you have them do on it Any advantage to it over a basic highbar?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:36 pm

GasPasser wrote:Do you have a video of it in use?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxH3Y4EDcy0

There's just one drill demo'd on this vid. I think we need to see more drills - or perhaps each vaulter or coach can use their imagination, and try variations of drills that they've done on a highbar (or rings)?

I like the fact that it's somewhat portable. It can easily be moved out to the track. :yes:

I don't like the vertical post being directly behind the vaulter - preventing a full "stretch/whip" motion. :no:

I'm skeptical about the angle of the hands facing somewhat outwards from the body - this doesn't match up very well with the natural angle of the hands on the pole.

Is this intended to simulate any particular motions of the PV, or is it just intended to be used for exercising muscles used in the PV? :confused:

One thought that I have is that it might be better to hang 2 rings below the top bars, rather than those red grips? With rings (attached so that they swivel), the natural angle of the hands would be better and easier (this is also the advantage of rings over highbar). :idea:

The length of the bottom (horizontal) bars may be insufficient for some swinging drills - to the point of the entire apparatus being in danger of tipping over. Some means of fastening the apparatus to the ground may be needed for swinging drills.

My comments are intended solely to assist you (DLM) in improving your design, or to consider design variations that may be more useful. All-in-all, I think this design is simple and cheap enough to be quite practical and useful for on-the-track training purposes.

DLM wrote: I use this piece of equipment to help my vaulter develop there core control and to get a feel for which muscles are being used in the invert and how to use them.
... It's about the teaching.

Yes, at the very least, I think something like this would be useful for the coach to put the vaulter into certain static positions (between takeoff and inversion), to use as "talking points". :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:08 pm

I would prefer a stabler design, like 3 triangles (open at the front, with a square base), and then have 2 rings on 2 cross-pieces at the top.

The apex of the triangles would not exist - it's only drawn because I took a stock picture from google images and edited it (and it makes the shape of the triangles easier to visualize).

This drawing needs to be improved, but the bases of the triangles on the 2 sides would be parallel, and would hinge onto the back (middle) triangle to fold up for storage. The dotted base line at the front of the apparatus would also not exist - it's only shown to show the square base.

So if you can visualize the BACK triangle (actually a polygon with a short horizontal cross-piece instead of extending the triangle to its apex) as being the main solid piece, then the 2 side pieces fold onto it (one folding to the front, the other folding to the back).

This design is a lot stabler than your design, DLM, but is more open to the front and the back for swinging drills.

Other than the horizontal piece on the back triangle (at ground level), this design uses no more piping than your design (maybe less because it tapers at the top).

A further design improvement could be to move this horizontal piece up to be near shoulder height of the vaulter (a couple feet lower than the red cross-piece shown, so he's not in danger of landing on it). I drew this horizontal piece as another red bar, to show it's approximate location, and I made the one at ground level a dotted line (since it would not exist). The shape of the back piece would then be sort of an "A-frame" (literally).

The top of the back "A-frame", and the tops of the 2 side pieces could all be curved at the top, rather than having abrupt joints (as drawn).

Here's a ROUGH diagram:
SquareBasedPyramid.gif
SquareBasedPyramid.gif (4.49 KiB) Viewed 5680 times

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:57 pm

DLM
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Master, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 12.6
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Unread postby DLM » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:23 am

hello kirk you bring up some questions I didn't think to answer. I have made a 14' tall framework that I hang rings and or a swinging high bar from for swing drills. So I us this tool just to teach core muscle control, to give the vaulters a sense of being upside down and to develop the muscle memory of being in the right position while upside down, and how they use them to get into those position, in a controlled environment. the video does not show this, but it is anchored down in 4 places because the ground is uneven,two in front and two in the rear. but it is not anchored down when I use it on the track or in the gym and it is very stable. I made the handle like this so the can be moved to match the shoulder width of each vaulter and so they could not come off or be taken loose, it a safety thing with me. I took a look at your drawing and I like what I see, while I think it would take more tubing (by the way I use aluminum tube for the frame and stainless for the handles) because I think I see the need for a third A-frame, but it a thought. Kirk I deeply appreciate your comments for with out this kind of feed back we wouldn't grow, and our training and teaching method wouldn't improve.
Thank You

Dan M.

Return to “Sales Forum”