Help getting past training wall

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
southernvaulter328
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'4
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Help getting past training wall

Unread postby southernvaulter328 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:51 pm

Would anyone please help me tell me my problem. I have been training myself by learning from other vaulters, one camp, and mostly the internet but I haven't improved in several weeks. I am a junior in highschool and this is my second year vaulting. I weigh 150 and am jumping on a 13' 140 pole.

First attempt: http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=yout ... G5qnsMIrgU

Second attempt: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VMkqjfd_1- ... e=youtu.be

Skyfly
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School and Club Coach

Re: Help getting past training wall

Unread postby Skyfly » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:30 am

You pole drop and plant does not have a the correct timing as well as your arms are not in the proper position at takeoff. Watch this video to learn more about the plant and make sure that your top arm is completely extended straight above your head prior to the pole making contact with the box. This is super general for now, but this is where it all starts. Get this stuff worked out and then evaluate where the rest of everything is at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_b45GBLQZ8

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:05 am

I suggest that you spend more time actually learning to vault by doing the right drills than simply jumping over a bar. If you cannot access good advice when you train - do not vault! Oh -and at 150 pounds you should not be jumping on a 13'/140 b pole!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

southernvaulter328
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'4
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby southernvaulter328 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:05 pm

altius wrote:I suggest that you spend more time actually learning to vault by doing the right drills than simply jumping over a bar. If you cannot access good advice when you train - do not vault! Oh -and at 150 pounds you should not be jumping on a 13'/140 b pole!

What drills do you suggest?

Tory
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Vaulter - Current Coach
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby Tory » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Bottom arm. Push up with your bottom arm more at the plant. As a previous post pointed out, your timing of the plant is late.

While you should not be jumping with a 140lb pole, you can train with one. When you train with a small pole, you shouldn't take more than 4 full strides at running speed. Take 4 walking steps into the plant, jump, have a coach/friend hold you in the air in the plant position. Focus on plant timing followed by awareness of the position of the bottom hand and the trail leg. DO NOT INVERT ON A SMALL POLE! As you gain awareness through walking plants, go faster until you reach 4 full strides. Move to 6 running strides and to a 150lb pole same length.

You want to push the pole over while maintaining proper body position. You will feel stretched not locked. As with a baseball pitch, you lead with the chest to get into a stretched position.

Stay at it. If it were easy, everyone would do it.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”