RENAUD LAVILLENIE WORLD RECORD 6.16!!!!!!!!!!!

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: RENAUD LAVILLENIE WORLD RECORD 6.16!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread postby dj » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:58 pm

As I have said many, many times… it is extremely difficult to know, especially with world class vaulters and long jumpers for that matter, from sight or video, if the run is "OFF" unless you know the exact (within a few inches forward or back) "MID" and the speed/MPS or time for the last six steps..

I have seen 100's/1000's of national/world class vaulters, men and women, hit the takeoff with good posture, a good plant and with decent posture and have a failed jump with a "MID" that was a foot or more out. On the very next vault they "pushed" out of the back, had the same posture, better frequency, a "MID" a foot closer, a takeoff that was more "OUT" and clear the bar by a foot.

I have not compared the jumps.. but was told that he was 2 to three feet out on that jump.

If the 6 step "MID" and the takeoff were exactly the same on both jumps you have a couple of possibilities… one: late plant with no "UP" impulse (which often is from stretching the run) or the "speed/MPS" was slower, which means the steps were stretched.

dj

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Debbie Chappell reported (from Steve) that Renaud's mid mark was off.

kewh
PV Nerd
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt

Unread postby kewh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:20 pm

My son who was there also said he was out at least 2 feet. He was for sure outside. He also got some killer video and lots of Bubka stuff.

Jack also said his pole went in the box clean but popped up and out towards the mat.

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:33 am

I've read the same report from Debbie, I just don't see it. Even with the crappy quality from youtube (downloaded, run through Ubersense, and zooming in), should we be able to see a 2 feet difference.

Video seems to confirm, that plant is in the box, and takeoff within inches of each other (comparing the 6.16 and the 6.21 jumps), and video also confirms, that the pole whips out of the box on the 6.21 attempt.

I am pretty sure, that the outcome had been way different, had the pole not bounced in the box and high onto the back plate. Not necessarily a make.

6.16:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6aoul800vdpzevj/RL616.mp4

6.21:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dszocph48xda3r/lavillenie.mp4

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:11 am

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:18 am

I've read the same report from Debbie, I just don't see it. Even with the crappy quality from youtube (downloaded, run through Ubersense, and zooming in), should we be able to see a 2 feet difference.

i agree i can't see it from the video.. this was the point i was trying to make... to really know the details that make a difference we need to monitor the 6 step "mid" for all our vaulters.. it's a coaches tool that gives us good useful feed back... what happens on the ground creates the physics to what happens in the air...

dj

palm1234
PV Nerd
Expertise: low
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby palm1234 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:28 am

On Twitter Renaud said he had removed 13 stitches and his next comptetition will be in Des Moines on the 25th of April

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:24 pm

dj wrote:

i agree i can't see it from the video.. this was the point i was trying to make... to really know the details that make a difference we need to monitor the 6 step "mid" for all our vaulters.. it's a coaches tool that gives us good useful feed back... what happens on the ground creates the physics to what happens in the air...

dj

Renaud's 6 step mid was being monitored. I'm sorry you can't see it on the video and choose not to believe the eyewitness reports, but everyone who was there says he was out on that mid.

Wan
PV Pro
Expertise: None (apart from 35 years of following)
Favorite Vaulter: Ren. Lavillenie, Phil. Collet

Unread postby Wan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:55 am

Another footage of the pole whipping out the box.

In the box...

A frame later, whipping out...

Another frame later...

Wan
PV Pro
Expertise: None (apart from 35 years of following)
Favorite Vaulter: Ren. Lavillenie, Phil. Collet

Unread postby Wan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:46 am

Renaud talked about what happened on his 6.21m attempt on a TV show last saturday night :
"On the run-up I went 50 cm too far from my marks, and when planting the pole in the box, it did not want to stay and go crashing into the mat. Then the uncoiling ejected me horizontally rather than up...back to square one. When I'm back down to the ground, my heel has absorbed all the shock wave which exploded my flesh on 7 cm long. 16 stitches, all that stuff in Ukraine, in short, I will not inflict you more details..."

Return to “Pole Vault - International”