RENAUD LAVILLENIE WORLD RECORD 6.16!!!!!!!!!!!

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
golfdane
PV Pro

Re: RENAUD LAVILLENIE WORLD RECORD 6.16!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread postby golfdane » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:58 am

dj wrote:All the better reason to have a correct 6 step mid...

Or plant the pole in the box:
http://youtu.be/vfKG3nzuGb8

Now, it's not easy to see on this video, but it appears he's pretty much on his take off mark (about a foot out on the first tape on the side of the runway), but the pole is not in the box.

Wan
PV Pro
Expertise: None (apart from 35 years of following)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Ren. Lavillenie, Phil. Collet

Unread postby Wan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:38 am

I don't know what caused this but there's clearly a shok in the pole just after his takeoff. This shock then made his left hand lose the grip.

canag
PV Whiz
Expertise: PV enthusiast
Lifetime Best: 430

Unread postby canag » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:17 am

Today in a press conference Lavillenie announced that he withdraws from the world championships, in order to avoid taking risks for the future.

Source : http://www.lequipe.fr/Athletisme/Actual ... ait/442311

canag
PV Whiz

Unread postby canag » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:10 pm

About the 6 step mid, his coach said in an interview that it was getting further away (around 18m) relative to last year. He said his whole run-up length has also increased to approx. 47m. This can be a sign that Renaud's speed has increased, or that he shifted slightly the cursor on the frequency-amplitude compromise.
Also, on the video one can see that the 6 step mid is further away by 30 to 40 cm on the WR jump with respect to 6.01 make.

Canag

palm1234
PV Nerd
Expertise: low
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby palm1234 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:08 pm

Renaud said some interesting stuff
http://www.athle.fr/asp.net/main.news/n ... wsid=11616

I am not sure I can translate it correctly, but canag may help me

In french

Quand j’ai changé d’entraîneur après les Jeux de Londres, j’ai modifié ma stratégie. J’ai décidé d’être le plus régulier possible au niveau de la course d’élan, en gagnant en puissance et en transfert d’énergie. Lors d’un stage à La Réunion, en fin d’année, je me suis rendu compte qu’il se passait quelque chose. Mes perches étaient devenues beaucoup trop souples. C’était le signe que j’avais progressé. Les compétitions me l’ont confirmé. Il m’a fallu deux meetings pour trouver mes repères avec mes nouvelles perches. J’ai réussi à prendre plus de levier et des perches plus grosses. Mon rapport poids-puissance a augmenté.

In english
When I got a new PV coach after the London Olympics, I modified my strategy. I wanted to be more consistent in my run, by being more powerful and transferring more energy. When we went in december for a 2 weeks training session at the island of La Réunion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9union), I realized something was going on. My poles were too loose. That meant I had improved. The competitions confirmed it. I needed two meetings to find my marks with my new poles. I was able to "get more lever", and bigger poles. My weight/power ratio had improved
Last edited by palm1234 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:30 pm

palm1234 wrote:
When I got a new PV coach after the London Olympics, I modified my strategy. I wanted to be more consistent in my run, by being more powerful and transferring more energy. When we went in december for a 2 weeks training session at the island of La Réunion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9union), I realized something was going on. My poles were too loose. That meant I had improved. The competitions confirmed it. I needed two meetings to find my marks with my new poles. I was able to "get more lever", and bigger poles. My weight/power had improved

By observing his landing spot on his 5.96 and 6.01 jumps, you can see that he was landing well to the back of the coach's box (and also way too far to the right).

Landing well into the pit (without lowering his grip) is a clear indication that his weigh/power has been improving recently. :yes:

It turned out to be a great decision to move up to his 5.20 13.8 pole! He really struggled at 5.96 (taking 3 attempts to clear it), and no one could have predicted that he would break the WR based on his first 4 or 5 competition attempts - maybe not even RL.

You can see on that WR vault that he landed much closer to the center of the CB. :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

canag
PV Whiz

Unread postby canag » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:40 am

For those who are interested, here are the poles used during the competition by Renaud, easily recognizable by the color tapes on the poles:

5.76 - 520/14.6 (top blue-low red)
5.91 - 520/14.3 (top red-low blue, the one he used to jump 6.04 and 6.08)
6.01 - 520/14.0 (top black-low blue, the one used to attempt 6.16 the two last competitions, and again, I repeat that this one "looks" rather soft, but maybe it is because he is putting more power on it)
6.16 - 520/13.8 (top red-low yellow, he never jumped on it, maybe even did not guess that he was going to, because he has to label it with a pen just before his WR jump)

Interestingly enough, those are poles he get used to more than 2 years ago, using a 20cm raised run-up (except for the stiffer one).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AXpD73Tiq8

Canag

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:25 am

Wan wrote:I don't know what caused this but there's clearly a shok in the pole just after his takeoff. This shock then made his left hand lose the grip.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sw85w93qooko8yz/Photo%2019-02-14%2009.09.19.jpg

Not sure why it's not in the box. It appears from previous frames, that take off is good and on target. My guess is, that pole has bounced up high on the back plate, and whips out of the box as the pole is rolled over.

Wan
PV Pro
Expertise: None (apart from 35 years of following)
Favorite Vaulter: Ren. Lavillenie, Phil. Collet

Unread postby Wan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:23 am

golfdane wrote:It appears from previous frames, that take off is good and on target. My guess is, that pole has bounced up high on the back plate, and whips out of the box as the pole is rolled over.

I agree with you.

1. Pole's tip looks like being in the box (too high in the back plate ?)

2. It seems to whips out of (pole touching the coach's box)

3. The shock makes RL loose his left hand grip and left hand releases the pole

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:17 am

The step may have been "on" in looks at the takeoff, but as I said before, it was reported that he was up to 2 feet outta his mid....which means he had to stretch to get there... Slowing down, poor posture, flat takeoff on a big pole and high grip...

This is one of those times you have to understand "you can't get there from here"!

For me, this is all the more reason to monitor a 6 step "mid"...

Dj

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:51 am

dj wrote:The step may have been "on" in looks at the takeoff, but as I said before, it was reported that he was up to 2 feet outta his mid....which means he had to stretch to get there... Slowing down, poor posture, flat takeoff on a big pole and high grip...

This is one of those times you have to understand "you can't get there from here"!

For me, this is all the more reason to monitor a 6 step "mid"...

Dj

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ymsuqlwm19yeiz/Photo%2019-02-14%2015.35.01.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6yza7nrp0ln79x/Photo%2019-02-14%2015.35.37.jpg

There seem to be a white marker about 60-70cm in front of his 6 step on both jumps.

I have a reallly hard time seeing that this is a flawed run up.

http://youtu.be/EQJpf5QOtsM

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:57 am

Wan wrote:2. It seems to whips out of (pole touching the coach's box)

To be more precise, it's the front apron of the pit that his pole is touching. The coach's box is the white rectangle on the flat part of the pit. The coach's box is the optimal landing area.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - International”