Use stickum or not to use stickum ?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Use stickum or not to use stickum ?

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sun May 26, 2013 8:33 pm

On a less serious note. Do you advocate that your vaulters use some type of stickum on their grip? I was watching a video of Yelena and it appeared that she had stickum on both top and bottom grip. As she adjusted her grip before her approach, I could see the stickum stretching between her pole and her hand.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Use stickum or not to use stickum ?

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon May 27, 2013 2:31 am

No. If your hands are wet use chalk. But putting glue type substances on your hands will just mess up the pole tape for anyone else that does not like a sticky pole.

I have seen people pole vault with no chalk and dripping wet grip tape without their hands sliding. If you let go of the pole or slip with dry tape and a little chalk you are doing something wrong in the vault.

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Mon May 27, 2013 2:05 pm

All my vaulters use stickum! It allows you to hang from the top hand with out clutching and causing tension! Bubka couldn't have held on to a 215--17'4 with a 17'grip and left the ground with out stickum! You can also look at some of his vaults and see the skin on his hand sticking to the tape!!! Relieves the top hand tension!!!!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon May 27, 2013 4:55 pm

That's actually a very good point, Charlie, and you definitely don't want to clutch (you want your top arm muscles to be as stretched as they can be).

However, I think you can do this with chalk too, with a smooth plant and with gymnastics training. After all, if the plant is perfectly smooth, your hand shouldn't be getting jerked away from the pole. And by hanging on highbar and rings for hours upon hours a week (and lifting heavy weights), you tend to develop a pretty good grip.

My thought process (cue) was always "PUSH and SQUEEZE" re the top hand on the plant and takeoff.

I used stickum in my early days of vaulting, but in my last year or so - once my plant got smoother and more reliable - I found it wasn't even necessary (I kept using less and less), so I switched to chalk - just to keep my hands dry.

Both are good.

Whatever you do, don't use the spray-on stuff! That contains alcohol, and will dry out your hands and make them crack! And if your hands crack too much, then you won't be able to do gym work (or even vault). Besides, it's TOO sticky! I once cleared a bar (or would have) but I couldn't pull my hand off the pole, so I missed! :no:

Ligher fluid? Yikes! Even worse! The way lighter fluid works is by a chemical reaction with the sticky substance on the tape (which is exposed by wrapping the tape inside out). I don't think it's very common any more, but it sounds like lighter fluid (or some variant of that) might be what Yelena might have been using? :no:

And what's this business about using tape and stickum for her bottom hand? Yikes! If you don't push or pull with your bottom hand (using it only for balance and steering), then there's absolutely no need for this nonsense! :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.

Unread postby grandevaulter » Mon May 27, 2013 7:41 pm

It appears to me that Isinbeyeva used something on the bottom hand. Her pole appears to be stained with a dark colored goo. It's possible that the youtube pictures are not clear.

PV-ATL
PV Whiz
Expertise: PV Coach, Club Owner (Pole Vault Atlanta, PV-ATL)
Lifetime Best: 14-6
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren

Unread postby PV-ATL » Tue May 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Gang,

Stick-um: too sticky! I use "Tough Skin". It gives a good tacky, dry grip. You don't need too much either. Stick-um is just too gooey.

Be careful, although. Wash your hands before you put them on your steering wheel. Both of my car's steering wheels are corroded off on the top because off Tough Skin!

Cheers,

PV-ATL

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:33 pm

Yep, Tuff Skin. Doesn't sweat off like Firm Grip (never used stickum). I think it's a personal choice. I must admit that I see more vaulters using chalk than I do Tuff Skin or stickum. Yes, I too have had a pole stick to my hands when I'm about to clear a bar. Maybe because I've used it for 50 years I know how to shake it off. Haha. As I said it's a personal choice and one that if you have a vaulter that continually loses grip you might try. May work, may not. It's just another tool in the tool box. I don't always need a 1/2 inch impact wrench on a project but if I need one I know I have an awfully nice one in my box.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:28 am

I used to use stickum, but when I start vaulting again, I am excited to start using Tako Grip :)

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Watched the world championships on the link the Becca provided. Looks like Isi uses pine tar. Top and bottom hand.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Go old school commie style...friction tape and lighter fluid.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”