First timer

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

First timer

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:17 pm

I broke my first pole today! It was crazy, I was jumping on a 14-60 Spirit to try and do a full vault backflip or front flip and like 1/100000000000 oh a second after takeoff there was the loud pop and I landed in the pit. The broke end caught me in the right side of my rearend and now i have a giant welt :( At least thats all that happened.

pvprincess
PV Newbie

ouch

Unread postby pvprincess » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:24 pm

well i havent broken a pole yet, and that is cool. you must have been scared. THe other day some kid broke our training pole(it was a guy on a girls pole) so i was a little upset, but yea, that must stink
People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily
-Zig Ziglar

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:35 pm

it's actually pretty cool, as long as you don't get hurt and can shake off the 300 bucks you just lost. You don't have time to get scared, so as long as you make pit and are OK you're usually laughing about it and giving high fives a minute later.

pvprincess
PV Newbie

Unread postby pvprincess » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:40 pm

well thats good that youre keeping a positive attitude about it, because you are right, there goes 300 dollars out the window lol. Well it sounds like you might be stuck for a while unless youve got another pole hehe
People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily

-Zig Ziglar

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:53 pm

hey flkorean, im curious about doin flips while vaulting. ive seen frontflips off the top of a soft pole and back flips doing popups, curious how you do 'em, and are they easy to learn. im real comfortable on poles and easily get inverted, also did diving, is there a way i could learn to safely do flips that you know of?

zack

Unread postby zack » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:16 am

My coach taught a couple guys on my team to do backflips from a pop-up or straight pole drill. Toby will do it from a short run, really shoot off the top of the pole and throw himself into a 1 or 1.5 backflip I think. I've seen him do it a couple times.

qtpie57
PV Whiz

Unread postby qtpie57 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:00 am

ya toby does a back flip on the neo vault video
"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”