Having trouble doing bubkas on high bar

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Vaulter239
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter and Hurdler
Lifetime Best: 11'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

Having trouble doing bubkas on high bar

Unread postby Vaulter239 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:11 am

Guys ive been trying trying to do these bubkas on the high bar but im just not getting up all the way. So i thought it might be lack of strength in the abdominals so itrained them for weeks and they are pretty dang strong soo i dont think thats the problem. Heres whats happening: I swing you know with a drived knee and straight trail leg. Right when i have the trail leg past my waist on the swing and i try to rise the hips and kick up but it just doesnt go up. I really have a feeling it's something with my hips, as if im not tucking them or something. And i can do the bubka movement when my legs are already verticle so it has to be something in my swing. Its really frustrating because i want to start inverting in my vaults and i need to practice this excercise and get the feeling down. Perhaps I film me attempting? If anyone has any videos or reading that would in detail explain the bubka process on the highbar or have advice that would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Ive been doing some more research on this portion of the vault and i have noticed a tendency i have which is to pull on the vault and perhaps the highbar too! What are some ways i can over come this and what really should i be doing to get the hips vertical.

Thanks

charlie
PV Pro

Re: Having trouble doing bubkas on high bar

Unread postby charlie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:14 pm

Do them on a ROPE with ANKLE WEIGHTS. That is closer to what Bubka does on the pole!!!!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Why the the ankle weights Charlie?????
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

charlie
PV Pro

Unread postby charlie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 pm

Strengthin's the core!!!! DO NOT drop your head back till you pull your HIPS ABOVE your sholders! I get complimens from coaches like Time Mack thhat tell me how good my vaulters inversions are. We do rope drills with ankle weights 7, yes i said 7 days a week!!! 6 sets of 5 reps. We do them QUICK!!! Touch and right bak up to a COMPLETE inversion!!! I guarentee results in a short period of time!!! Do the WORK!!!!!

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:47 pm

If you have access to rings, I find they are easier to use for bubkas. Like the ankle weight idea.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:53 pm

I wouldn't use ankle weights until you can do them correctly without weight. :confused:

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Agreed, rainbowgirl28

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:40 am

"I guarentee results in a short period of time!!! "

Charlie - I keep seeing you make claims like this, but they are never backed up by visual evidence of vaulters you have actually coached 24/7/52.

IMHO you do Bubkas to develop specific elements of technique at the top end of the vault - in that case the rule of specificity means that you should not use ankle weights. And if you are doing Bubka's correctly I can't see how you improve core strength by using ankle weights.

However the more critical question is - is the athlete in question doing enough correctly early in the vault to benefit from Bubka's. The implication in his post is that he is not - and that he suspects he is not. So before we go chasing this issue we need to see some film of him vaulting in competition -as we need to see film of your athletes Charlie, if you want sceptics like me to accept your ideas.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Vaulter239
PV Newbie

Unread postby Vaulter239 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:06 am

Thanks for some feedback. Il definately hold off on the ankle weights until i cam do them correctly. Il try to get a video up tomorrow when im at the gym. Stay tuned fpr this update and im sure well get to the solution. again thanks for all your input :)

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:47 am

Well actually if you can't get your hips up on the high bar,rings, rope etc. it is simply a lack of core strength. No need to sugar coat it. Your stomach is only one piece of the core strength formula. I coached Gymnast (including Elite National team members as well as beginers for over 30 years) and core strength (the right kind) is slow to develop.....................but it will come. Try raising your feet to the bar only not your hips and see if you can do that. If you cannot do that it is just time. Also try raising your feet to the bar by bending your knees. If you can do that then gradually staighten your legs until you can raise them to the bar straight. While doing the above mentioned exercises be sure to keep your arms completely straight. My athletes (including vaulters) always fight with the difficuty of a correctly executed Bubka, but eventually get it with time as they get a stronger core(not just stomach). Be patient it will come..................... :D !!!

Vaulter239
PV Newbie

Unread postby Vaulter239 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 pm

fishman4god wrote:Well actually if you can't get your hips up on the high bar,rings, rope etc. it is simply a lack of core strength. No need to sugar coat it. Your stomach is only one piece of the core strength formula. I coached Gymnast (including Elite National team members as well as beginers for over 30 years) and core strength (the right kind) is slow to develop.....................but it will come. Try raising your feet to the bar only not your hips and see if you can do that. If you cannot do that it is just time. Also try raising your feet to the bar by bending your knees. If you can do that then gradually staighten your legs until you can raise them to the bar straight. While doing the above mentioned exercises be sure to keep your arms completely straight. My athletes (including vaulters) always fight with the difficuty of a correctly executed Bubka, but eventually get it with time as they get a stronger core(not just stomach). Be patient it will come..................... :D !!!

Thank you, great advice. I actually went out today to have a 1 hour session with a gymnast and he was a vaulter too (vaulted 1 year but got 12 feet). I did notice significant weaknesses in my core and lats after doing some high bar work and rings. I plan on bringing some of the excercises i learned today to a closer gym where they have open gym a couple times a week and i can get some work in. We worked on piking stuff, swinging bubkas, pullups, pushups, situps, rolling, and handstands to get coordnation for being inverted since i wasnt used to that! I had a great time and learned alot from just 1 session. So like i said il hit the open gym a couple times a week. Do you have any routines i can use when i go there besides the above?

Appreciate it.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:37 pm

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”