trayoates
PV Nerd
Expertise: College (class of 2017)
Lifetime Best: 17'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

top SEC vault school

Unread postby trayoates » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:55 pm

i was wondering today, which SEC school has the best vault program. that can mean most successful coach or vaulter core. i am currently a senior and im not limiting my sights to the SEC, but i was just curious

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: top SEC vault school

Unread postby dj » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:27 pm

would that be men ... TENN

and women... ARK

trayoates
PV Nerd

Unread postby trayoates » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:39 pm

i was asking for men, but thanks for the answer! my teammate and i are actually really considering tennessee. we both have to improve a lot this winter and early spring, shes at 11'4" and im at 15'6" but we've trained together for 4 years and itd be awesome to go to the same school to vault

trayoates
PV Nerd

Unread postby trayoates » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:53 pm

also, what would be an estimate of yours as to what height would be needed to get a decent scholarship at UT? girls and boys

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:49 pm

The one you like the most, with the coach you agree with the most, that you can see yourself at.

Just take a quick glance at the top heights and you will learn there was not too many schools that did not have awesome results.

http://tfrrs.com/lists/930.html#24

On the men's side:

-Arkansas had the highest guy jumper by far
-LSU is the only team to have three athletes in the top 10
-Tennessee and LSU both had two athletes in the top 8 (important because only 8 athletes score).
-If you were to score it as a meet it would be Arkansas(10) South Carolina(8) Mississippi(6) Tenneessee(6.5) LSU (5.5) UGA (3)
-Auburn and Miss State are the only two schools without a 17' vaulter.

I think you are in good hands most places

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:34 am

trayoates wrote:also, what would be an estimate of yours as to what height would be needed to get a decent scholarship at UT? girls and boys

For a "decent" scholarship probably 17'+. That goes for most SEC schools. In the 16's you might get a little money, especially if it's in your state. 15'6 would be walk-on at most, maybe books or something very small at some, if they think you have potential.

You really need to ask the coaches directly though, because it varies widely from year to year and school to school. You really need to contact the coaches of the schools you are interested in ASAP. Same for your friend.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:51 am

To add to the boss's comments, 17' won't even guarantee an offer. High school performance isn't that reliable of indicator of collegiate performance. There's been many, many 16 & 17 high schoolers that never PR'd once in college. The good vault programs will judge you on potential. If you jump 17' and they like you, how much will it get you? In the SEC, probably anywhere from books to 25%. If they see real potential...NCAA championship potential...maybe 50%. Regardless if you jump 17' or 19', you are one eventer and only worth 10 points in the SEC championship. With 12.6 total scholarships available (maybe 3 come open each year), it's very difficult for a coach to justify a large scholarship for a one eventer since they are judged by their AD first on SEC team performance, then NCAA team performance, and then lastly, if at all, on individual athlete performance.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

IluvMarkHollis
PV Wannabe

Unread postby IluvMarkHollis » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:57 pm

I wish more schools would recruit based on potential. Not very many 17'+ HS kids improve greatly from there. PV is so different than other events
AW- Retired PV, Mark Hollis freak

kewh
PV Nerd
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt

Unread postby kewh » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:08 pm

I know a kid that had a 16.09 pr during the recruiting process fall of his senior year in high school and was offered seven full scholarships. I know that is very uncommon, but it can happen.

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby PV2020 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:26 pm

kewh wrote:I know a kid that had a 16.09 pr during the recruiting process fall of his senior year in high school and was offered seven full scholarships. I know that is very uncommon, but it can happen.

That kid also had also PRd by around 3 feet in one year and anyone that saw videos of his video knew the second he figured out what he was doing he would get an Olympic A standard. Oh and did I mention he is like 6'3 and already has gotten that A standard now?

Jack was an extreme case. That rarely happens. Did you know the year before one of the top American's jumped 16'10 and only got about %50. Colleges were hungry for a pole vaulter jumping that high again.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:50 am

I know of an 18'+ high schooler that got 80% and after winning the NCAA title had his scholarship cut.

Nothing is a given. If you need money, there's plenty of better, more stable sources out there for college than athletic scholarships. To base everything on just that is, IMO, foolish.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Return to “Pole Vault - College”