rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Anthony Curran out at UCLA?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:26 am

I can't find official word anywhere, but I've been hearing this rumor for a week or two, and there is a discussion about it at letsrun.com: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... ad=4684654

I don't know if Jack Hoyt will be the PV coach or not (they could bring in a volunteer) but he is a good guy and a solid PV coach, I hope the vaulters who stick around give him a chance.

fly right
PV Newbie
Expertise: level 1, usoc/usatf elite coaches clinic attendee, HS / college caoch
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Re: Anthony Curran out at UCLA?

Unread postby fly right » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:28 am

It is not a rumor.........
According to people I have spoken to who are close with him he will no longer be on their paid staff as the jumps coach. According to my sources he was offered the position as a volunteer staff PV coach and would be allowed to continue to conduct his camps at UCLA. I know what my answer to that offer after 25+ years of service would be.
My best wishes to a future success for you Anthony.......you deserve better!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:38 pm

guess there is no such thing as loyalty anymore..

people on letsrun talk about how he was just a good vault coach and they were risking it having a vault guy over all the jumps. I like how people think it is ok to have someone that knows nothing about the most dangerous event coach it, but a vault coach should not coach the long jump. But according to recent results, the UCLA jumpers were not too bad, having a freshman girl long jump close to 21' , a freshman triple jump 42', and a sophomore over 5'11 in high jump.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Jack Hoyt is a very competent vault coach. I seriously considered transferring to SPU to vault with him. No one can replace Curran, but Hoyt knows a thing or two about the vault and would be a safe coach.

VaultPurple
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:48 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Jack Hoyt is a very competent vault coach. I seriously considered transferring to SPU to vault with him. No one can replace Curran, but Hoyt knows a thing or two about the vault and would be a safe coach.

I am sure there is more to the story than anyone knows, because there usually always is. I just do not always agree with how easy it is to get rid of a coach with no reason. It is evident that Hoyt can coach, especially the vault, from the result of the Cal Poly Vaulters this year.

But when it comes down to it, Curran has been at UCLA for 28 years. He was a UCLA grad and has dedicated his career to that program. I believe that largely out weights many factors.

When people think of the top pole vaulting programs who do they usually think of? VT, UW, and UCLA. There are a few more, but all three of these programs are lead by alumni who have been there for a long time. They have built tradition and a history of excellence in their programs.

The only argument anyone can make against a great vault coach is that they are just a vault coach. But Curran also coached other events and the UCLA jumpers were better than Cal Poly's in all events, not just the vault.

Just a very interesting world of coaching with lots of unknowns..

VaultPurple
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:51 pm

But new rumor has it he will be staying on as a volunteer vault coach.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:33 am

I hate to hear this, not only because I have a lot of respect for Curran but it shows more about our college situation for track. A limited number of coaches must coach several events. I am afraid it will not get better anytime soon. I guess the advice for young coaches is make sure you can coach several events not just the vault.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:17 pm

hye

several thoughts....

1. do we have young vault coaches that can coach several events?

2. Who is producing the best vaulters at the NCAA/USA level... young or old?

3. Is the USATF certification program helping or hurting our (USA) ability to develop real quality, top level coaches in event areas or is it too specialized?

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - College”