European Meets

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

European Meets

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:58 am

So at one point I heard of European meets where they limited the number of vaults or jumps athletes could take in pole vault in high jump. Either they were given something like 5 jumps in the entire meet, or just 3 total misses for the entire meet. This was used to speed the meet up.

Not arguing weather I believe in that or not. But my question is: In meets like that where they changed the rules to make the meet more time friendly, were the marks still ratifiable by IAAF? If someone jumped an A standard or world record at one of these meets would it count?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: European Meets

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:06 am

I believe the rule books were amended to allow for that type of meet. Marks still count, it makes the meet harder, not easier.

atlegu
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent, former high school vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 3,70
Favorite Vaulter: Sondre and Simen Guttormsen

Unread postby atlegu » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:58 pm

They have used this rule (together with several other "strange/new" rules) in the European Team championships.

In the vertical jumps each competitor shall be entitled to a maximum of 4 (four) fouls
only throughout the whole field event. All the other relevant IAAF Rules for the vertical
jumps will apply. IAAF Rule 181.8 will apply for placings.

See: http://www.european-athletics.org/files/regulations/2012/2012.05.21./600-European%20Team%20Championships%20Regulations-May2012.pdf

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:55 am

Wow ,defenitely harder.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Just curious, I realize it makes it harder, but my thing was wondering if just changing IAAF rules made all marks void, which it appears it does not.

Was thinking about the whole sponsorship thing. And if someone had a meet and just ignored the uniform restrictions IAAF would still probably void the marks because it would probably give the vaulter a unfair advantage. So if someone jumped 6.16 with RED BULL across their chest in big letters it would not be a real world record, or even count as an A standard.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:50 pm

VaultPurple wrote:Just curious, I realize it makes it harder, but my thing was wondering if just changing IAAF rules made all marks void, which it appears it does not.

Was thinking about the whole sponsorship thing. And if someone had a meet and just ignored the uniform restrictions IAAF would still probably void the marks because it would probably give the vaulter a unfair advantage. So if someone jumped 6.16 with RED BULL across their chest in big letters it would not be a real world record, or even count as an A standard.

The IAAF logo rules only apply to certain IAAF meets, and at those meets they have officials who make sure athletes have compliant uniforms, gear, etc before they step out onto the field.

If Steve Hooker wants to jump 5.72 in his building with a Red Bull jersey on, the IAAF doesn't care, they'll still take the mark. You can wear whatever you want in the majority of meets, it's generally only an issue with meets that are being televised.

When it comes to records ratification, they're more concerned about whether the equipment/runway was up to code and measured properly. The records committees don't care about the logos on their uniform. There is nothing in the rules that lets them disallow a record for that reason.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”