WJR Mq - Kirillov, Duplantis, Barber advance, Bowen out

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

WJR Mq - Kirillov, Duplantis, Barber advance, Bowen out

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:59 am

5.15 and a few 5.05s advance: http://www.iaaf.org/Mini/WJC12/Results/ ... _PV_hash_q

Does anyone else find it ironic that the one American advancing to finals was born in another country (and could still compete for them) while there are two American born and raised athletes competing for other countries? I am not criticizing the latter two, I would do the same in their shoes, just wish we had more resources to support our vaulters that would make them want to compete for us.

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Re: WJR Mq - Kirillov, Duplantis, Barber advance, Bowen out

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Just one surprise: Wei Zhang (CHN) with 5.50 PB didn't qualify (NH).
Ivan Horvat, my countryman and big favorite for gold, qualify for the final. :yes:
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:51 pm

What kind of further resources would be necessary for these athletes to want to compete for the USA instead of another country?

I believe they had the option of attempting to qualify for the USA JR National team but chose another route that may have been easier.

What are the rules of representing a country at the Jr level, or even U-23 level then attempting to represent a different country at the national "adult" level? (Worlds or Olympic team)? I know there are many different rules regarding the Olympics, but I'm curious what the rules would be at different age levels....

anybody?
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:35 pm

People like being able to go to international meets. Barber tried for the USA team but did not qualify so he switched to the Canadian team so he could go to worlds. Duplantis has been jumping for Sweden since 2009 at the world youth championships and he was always competing at same time as guys like Irwin and Whitt so USA team not so easy to make. Not that I know exact reasons.

As far as elite level, a lot of countries support their athletes and even pay them salaries. While the USA does not.

Coach J
PV Beginner
Expertise: Club Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Coach J » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:04 pm

bjvando wrote:What kind of further resources would be necessary for these athletes to want to compete for the USA instead of another country?

Canada provides anywhere from $900-$1500 dollars a month for there elite athletes. Where the USA provides almost nothing. It would be an easy choice for me.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:36 am

Typically US elite athletes gain most of their "funding" through private company endorsements ie. Nike,Asics etc. Some sports like Gymnastics have a "standing" national team and in some instances they (team members) can be in residence at a national training center and thus maintain some level of support. I coached gymnastics for 30 years and some of my athletes did this, so it is factual. As far as T&F is concerned I do not know if that path (of sponsorship) as resident national team members exists. From what I can gather it does not exist at say the same level as gymnastics. Being a pole Vaulter is about as rare as a two-headed cat and consequently is not very popular to spend/fund/support athletes and the big one...............................profitable/marketable for the national entity as say a runner (everybody knows what running a race is). Hope that clarifies ......................"the way it is"

Return to “Pole Vault - International”