Pole runs with cones

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Pawelvaulter
PV Beginner
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.52
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Pawel Wojciechowski

Pole runs with cones

Unread postby Pawelvaulter » Wed May 30, 2012 9:14 am

I've seen vaulters doing pole runs with cones to make sure each step is on and they properly change their step from long strides to shorter more powerful steps. I wanted to do this drill to maximize my speed on the runway but i dont know how to spread out the cones. I'm 5'9'' and run a six left from 72' and a seven left from 83' and for seven left i use a 14'6'' 160. I 3 step from 37' with a 13'6' 155 pole. Can anyone help me find the distance i should have between cones for this drill? Thanks

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Pole runs with cones

Unread postby dj » Wed May 30, 2012 10:54 am

what is your grip height and PR with that grip?

the last six steps should be at equal distance... the first 6 steps are "progressively" longer up to the last six...("MID" check point)...

dj

Pawelvaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby Pawelvaulter » Thu May 31, 2012 8:16 am

I cap both poles and my 3step pr is 12'6'' and for 6step my pr is 13'6''

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu May 31, 2012 9:45 am

run a six left from 72' and a seven left from 83' and for seven left i use a 14'6'' 160

your answer still has not made it clear to me what your grip (feet/inches) is for your 6 left run and what your best vault is from that run, grip and pole?

are you gripping 14-6 on the 14-6/160 from a 6 left 72 foot run?

dj

Pawelvaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby Pawelvaulter » Thu May 31, 2012 12:17 pm

Sorry if that wasnt clear. On my seven left i hold the top of a 14'6'' 160. Havent used seven lefts in competion so i dont have a pr for that but in practice my step is from 83'. I cleared 13'6'' from a six left holding the top of a 14' 155 from 72' on the runway. My 3 left approach is from 37' holding the top of a 13'6'' 155. Those are all the marks i have used.

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Thu May 31, 2012 9:20 pm

Step on a wet towel so that you'll leave tracks. Do a pole run, and measure where your steps are.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:42 am

I cleared 13'6'' from a six left holding the top of a 14' 155 from 72' on the runway.

From these numbers, sound like your technical efficiency is way off..

The "average" 13-6 vaulter only needs a 13-2 grip and a six step "MID" check point 44ft/13.44m.

Without seeing your jump... you are "holding high" and not jumping near your grip! Which could mean you are over striding, force bending the pole, blocking and "slowly" riding it to the bar.. not a safe or effective way to vault...

You should consider lowering the grip, checking the six step "MID" (www.oneapproachrun.com) getting you run, grip and PR from your grip into a better relationship.

A 13-6 vault is a 44ft "MID" (six step check point).. mark six steps with cones of 1.70m.

A 14 foot grip is potentially an average 15 foot vault with a 47ft/14.37m six step "MID" or last 6 steps of 1.80m.

You must progress systematically from the 13-2 grip 13-6 vault to the 14 foot grip to improve or to continue to improve your PR/PB.

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:34 pm

more Q and A on approach and cones...

Sent: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:21pm
DJ:

I was working on my approach run today and thought I'd give your mid-mark chart a whirl and see if it would help build some consistency. I typically grip in the 13'1 area on a pole from 14 steps.

Based on your chart.. my takeoff would be at 10'4, with a mid of 44. Stride length of around 5'7.

I would consistently hit my mid each time running it on the track. However, for the life of me could not get my feet down remotely quick enough to cover my final 6 steps in the 44'. Would I simply back my mid-mark up from there in order to accommodate this? Could I be coming into the mid too fast? I know for a fact that I'm not slowing down in those last 6 steps, I just can't hit the marks with a mid at 44' and SL of 5'7.

Thanks!
R

……………………………………………………………..
hye

what "MID" can you hit with your current run? 45..46?

it is possible that you are running fast enough to grip higher.. but haven't had the feel and confidence to do so...

set a lane up with where you are hitting while trying to hit 44...run those and make sure you don't stretch any...

get comfortable and move it to the runway... then see if you have to much pole speed for the grip and start moving the grip up... while still getting the feet down for the correct takeoff.

i must add a "caution"... most of today's vaulters have been over striding on the run... and are finding it very difficult to "tighten" up because of "feel"... butt if you don't tighten up you cannot get the correct "impulse.. "free" takeoff "implused" plant you need.

.. a vaulter and jumper can "quicken" (chop) and takeoff correctly.. but a vaulter/jumper cannot stretch and takeoff correctly.

dj
……………………………………………………………………………….
Sent: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:04pm
With my current run I feel like a mid of 45' would be hit consistently, that's with me starting at 86'. It could definitely be possible that I can hold higher b/c of my speed, I just haven't yet since I've had a lack of confidence coming into my takeoff.

I'll try and take some quick video of my approaches today when I'm out there. When I grip up and back up, as my takeoff becomes more out, my mid will come out further as well, correct? If I'm starting at 44 and grip up and back up 3" then my mid should be at 44'3" then?

hye

a 4" up in grip is usually 8-12 inches back at the "MID"...

the takeoff point on the chart is an average so make sure you are "out" based on your reach not the number on the chart....

the idea behind running the "cones" for a 45 "MID" on the track is to give you the feel, speed, technique at full speed and confidence to start moving the grip to match... many times you will hold higher than the average per grip to "MID"...

Tim Mack jumped higher than the average for a 5m grip.. he jumped 5.90 big with a 5m grip and a 54-8/16.75m Mid..

the proportions on the chart hold true, if you are running correct and "getting the feet down" to impulse at takeoff...

www.oneapproachrun.com

dj

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Just do 20/20s to learn how to control the last six steps and then add that change down to your normal running -simple and easy.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:06 am

good morning,

i have to explain myself on this one..

Just do 20/20s to learn how to control the last six steps and then add that change down to your normal running -simple and easy.

it's not that -simple and easy.... this is what we have "argued" about so passionately from the first day i joined this site...

Yes you can get the right "technique", frequency, posture etc.. with 20/20's…

And we get frustrated with our vaulters when they do it "perfect" with 20/20's and "suddenly" fall apart on the runway!!!!!

BUTT 20/20's are one meter strides… and as the strides get longer you have to have the "push" power necessary to hold the same posture, have the correct foot strike..etc..

This is what I have been trying to explain about using the chart and cones to develop the best run that is "specific" to you and your speed ability.

Everyone should be capable of running correctly with one meter strides… so why do they "fall apart" on the runway. Because the strides are too long for the speed ability they have. Speed ability meaning having the correct "push" power to cover the stride lengths with the correct ground time they are trying to use.

If you don't have the push power for the stride lengths you are overstriding… Over striding creates poor technique. They will not get the correct technique unless they shorten their strides and/or improve the push power.

Sorry Alan I had to disagree here this very thing is what I have been trying to correct on the approach run for 40 years.

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”