Looking for a good camp in the Midwest

A forum to post announcements about clubs, camps, or competitions. Old posts are moved to the appropriate regional forum below. This is also a forum where I make announcements regarding PoleVaultPower.com. All other posts in this forum will be deleted. Please read the descriptions of the forums below, if your post is not a club/camp/competition, it does not belong in this forum.
movaultdad
PV Newbie
Expertise: Parent of High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jeff Hartwig

Looking for a good camp in the Midwest

Unread postby movaultdad » Sun May 13, 2012 11:55 am

My son just completed his 8th grade season and went 11'0". I am looking for a really good vault camp in the Midwest. We live in Missouri. I am aware of Rick Attig's camps in Overland Park, KS but his Elite Camp seems a little much for my son. Looks like it is for Elite High School Vaulters. However, I don't want something where, because he is young and small, he gets put into a group with the young, small, inexperienced vaulters and doesn't get much out of the camp. Looking for something in the month of June.

nitro
PV Master

Re: Looking for a good camp in the Midwest

Unread postby nitro » Sun May 13, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm not sure how west you consider midwest but Pat Manson's camps in Colorado is the best camp I've ever heard of. Great guy Great Camp only a handful of kids so each athlete gets individual attention unlike camps that have 30+ at once.
pain is only temporary victory is forever

artparry
PV Fan
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15 ft 1 in
Favorite Vaulter: Former Team Mate Bob Seagren

Unread postby artparry » Sun May 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Todd Cooper runs a PV facility in Excelsior Springs which is just outside Kansas City, MO. His web site is:

www.justvault.org

His phone number is 816-223-1956

Whenever I come to KC to visit I always go out to Todd's place and get in some practice. He is a great coach.

Good Luck and enjoy.
65 & going strong!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun May 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Heard good things about Pat Mansons camps but have actually worked with Todd Cooper -can thoroughly recommend him. depending on where you live, Kris ALLISON down near San Antonio also runs a great camp and program. ,
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

jr
PV Nerd

Unread postby jr » Mon May 14, 2012 9:29 am

Where are you located in Missouri? I highly recommend Todd Cooper. I have some vault sessions during June over here in Beardstown,Illinois which is about 1 hour 10 minutes from Hannibal. Mainly we just give kids a chance to get lots of jumps. Todd does a great job of fine tuning the kids vault from beginning to end.
Jerry

Victory Sports
PV Nerd
Expertise: Vaulter, Coach,
Lifetime Best: 14'6"

Unread postby Victory Sports » Mon May 14, 2012 2:10 pm

ARKANSAS VAULT CLUB!!!! Google them up! Cant go wrong!

movaultdad
PV Newbie

Unread postby movaultdad » Mon May 14, 2012 10:38 pm

We are actually located on the eastern side of Missouri, just south of St. Louis. I actually contacted Todd Cooper. He doesn't do any summer camps but he basically does "private sessions" and has "open gyms". We are about 4 1/2 hours from him so I don't know how well that will work. Might be able to get in a couple of private sessions but that would be it. Thanks for all the suggestions and if anyone else has any more, we are all ears. Have thought about Earl Bell down in Jonesboro, Ark. Only about 3 hours away from us.

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Mon May 14, 2012 10:43 pm

You should check out Earl Bell's camp if it's that close. Better yet, make sure the high school your son is going to has a good coach dedicated to the vault. It would be worth more than all of the camp in the world.

eleazar
PV Fan
Lifetime Best: 19'2"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Unread postby eleazar » Wed May 16, 2012 10:30 am

Bell Athletics is the best pole vault camp/facility you will encounter in the world. Earl Bell teaches everything that you will need to know to be successful as a pole vaulter, he has a way of making things simple that so many others seem to complicate.

11' as an 8th grader shows that you already have a great deal of talent, and Earl knows what to do when he sees talent.
Best of luck.
Daniel Ryland

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

Unread postby vaultdad » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:47 am

There's also the Motley Crew Vault Club in Festus / Crystal City MO and we go 4 evenings a week pretty much all summer . . .
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

movaultdad
PV Newbie

Unread postby movaultdad » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks to everyone for the replies. My son just got back from Earl Bell's 3 day camp this past weekend and he loved it. What a great camp. There were kids at the camp from many different states (Tennessee, Kansas, Florida, California, Missouri, Illinois, Alabama). I would highly recommend Earl's camp for anyone, but especially those within a 4 hour radius of Jonesboro, Arkansas. We will be going back at some point and probably bringing more people with us. Awesome camp.

Return to “Website News and Camp/Competition Announcements”