Has pole vaulting hit the bottom?

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Re: Has pole vaulting hit the bottom?

Unread postby tsorenson » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:16 pm

Don't forget how early in the season it is. Nobody is trying to peak right now, which makes Walker's jumping even more impressive. Looking at the world lists, there is a lot of red-white-and-blue, some from very young athletes who are years away from reaching their potential. Granted that Borges, Hooker, and Lavillenie will be back in form by summertime, so you can add a few names at the top of the list.

http://iaaf.org/statistics/toplists/ino ... etail.html

Even though Jordan Scott has "only" cleared 5.40 this season, he looks great and has had some unlucky bounces of the bar. Look for him to really step it up in the next few months as he tries to add more speed to his already incredible technique.

chasing6 wrote:
tsorenson wrote:I hope that Walker puts on a show at Reno to squelch all the naysayers. How about a new American indoor record? Maybe that's wishful thinking, but I am an optimist. He looked great last season when he was on! I hope he knows that a lot of young (and old) vaulters are pulling for him.
Here's hoping that all our other up and coming vaulters can peak for the olympic year and bring back some medals. Whitt, Hollis, Scott, and Scott all have potential to jump world caliber heights if things line up for them. Miles has old-guy-power, so anything is possible. Nothing would make me happier than to see him get a medal!

Don't count Colwick out just yet. Although he didn't have the best year (height wise) last year he is poised to get some BIG bars this season. He's made some huge improvements in his takeoff and swing, and I would not be surprised if he posted a 5.90m or better before the medals are handed out in London.

I had heard that Colwick was training at UW with Pat Licari, which is exciting. Looking forward to seeing him reach his potential. We all know that changes in technique tend to take a while to equate to big bars.

Support from the PV community is the best way to help our athletes reach their potential, not negativity.

Tom

kewh
PV Nerd
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt

Unread postby kewh » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:38 pm

I agree with the above post. A side note to pole vaulting being down in the US. Is it not down all over the world? Three vaulters ranked in the top ten in the world (Track and Field news) did not have a 19 foot vault in 2011. Hummm!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:10 pm

First I am for being positive….

Second I view these post as "questions" to discus answers.. to jumping higher..

And that includes world wide..

Not criticism … possible answers…

That said the coaches and athletes have a chance to view/analize many possibilities.. if one hasn't worked the next one may be the answers…

Just like a "7" step chicken soup program.. the athlete and coach should click them off once they "own" or have tried each step…

We (USA) have a few world records and Olympic Gold's to our credit.. no reason we can't make it happen again..

dj

chasing6
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former Collegiate Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, Coach (all-levels), Die-Hard Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.23m

Unread postby chasing6 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:45 am

tsorenson wrote:I had heard that Colwick was training at UW with Pat Licari, which is exciting. Looking forward to seeing him reach his potential. We all know that changes in technique tend to take a while to equate to big bars.

Yes, we have quite the group up here: Scott Roth, Jason Colwick, Ryan Brown (4-time Div II champion PR 5.40), Ryan Vu ('10 Pac-10 Champ PR 5.37), Levi Keller (4th '10 USA indoor PR 5.35) and myself. Needless to say it is a great place to be training: great facilities, coaching and group of guys. We've also got Canadian Carly Dockendorf in the mix.

Yes indeed, Pat has put together quite the program up here in the Northwest. :yes:
Whether you believe you can or cannot, you're right.

http://www.fiveringsproject.org

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:21 am

I haven't been on here much since last spring and I have not been to Reno in about 6 or 7 years. One thing that has not changed in the US pole vault is the people who do nothing but complain. If you know everything that coaches are doing wrong, start your own club and develope the next great Amercian pole vaulters. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem. After we won gold and silver all I heard was how messed up we were. I have been lucky to meet some great US pole vault coaches and great vaulters and I think we do a tremendous job in the US. Lets build this up, not tear it down. Work to make things better sure, but do it in a positive way.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

airstryke4life
PV Beginner
Expertise: Ex-Pro, Fan, Parent, High-school Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.64
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Danny Ecker

Unread postby airstryke4life » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:59 pm

Dear CowtownPV,

Thank you!

After 3 pages of banter, I think you summed up all that needed to be said.

invert07
PV Nerd

Unread postby invert07 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:46 pm

Hey Cowtown,
Can I come train with you?? I heard you have the best set up this side of the mississippi! With a shaded runway and pole vault mat, a pool nearby, your own personal chipping/putting green.. I'd say you've got the hookup! Let me know what I have to do to come out!

GW ;)
sic 'em!!

Today, talent alone is not enough.

-sergey bubka-

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Any time Invert, any time but you better focus on your big day this summer.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”