Swinging Bubkas

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Oyndapants
PV Fan

Swinging Bubkas

Unread postby Oyndapants » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:55 am

Can someone please give me tips on how to do them.
"Where are my shoes? Thats it, I'm going out shoeless."

wurster490
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 5.51m

Unread postby wurster490 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:10 pm

I am not sure about swinging bubkas, but I do these things on the high bar we call bubkas. First off, rockback so your hips are touching the bar, then lower your butt, keeping your arms and legs straight, also keep your shins close to the bar. The are quite hard if you haven't done them before. When doing them I go to my feet and back up. Hope that helps you out.

nikayy.xo
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

Re: Swinging Bubkas

Unread postby nikayy.xo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:36 pm

I'm having problems with these as well. If you can't do them on the bar try them on rings. You have to time it so that you can get the most out of your momentum. swing your legs using your hips as a pivot point so your not just swinging your whole body then bring in your legs like youre kneeing yourself in the eye. then pushdown with your arms using your back shoulders and triceps so that you are inverted. You have to keep your whole body tight especially your abs the whole time. Once you can do it with your kees tucked in right before your inverted focus on your trail leg and drive knee then once your have that do it on the bar making sure your hands are at your hips or more towards your stomach (but always with your arms straight)at the peak of inversion.Once inverted, keep it there and maybe try some bubkas to improve strength even more. Hope this helps:)

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:17 pm

If it is a matter of strength, a simpler exercise called a body curl will get you going in the right direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ks5242CrMs

I have also had athletes just work on the leg lift portion, I have had them just work on the upper body portion (pressing both hands forward using your lats) etc. I think the hardest part to learn though is the hip lift, which is what is being described by wurster. To simplify this a little bit, doing it on a set of rings (or gymnastic parallel bars) will make it considerably easier. If you do not have access to that equipment, you can try starting with both palms facing you (like a chin up). This will pull your shoulders more underneath you and get some work done until you have "mastered" the move.

Many people get wrapped up in the grip, mixed grip etc. To me, its a strength exercise--not pole vaulting. It can only be imitated so much, and with a static bar, often times it gets in the way of the movement (aka, the grip is of little importance imo).

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:01 pm

Re the grip:

I strongly reccommend a uniform grip. It more properly simulates the "pole-strike" and start of the swing (which is what the drill should be used to help train). The top part of it is of little to no importance: it is not possible to simulate the inversion on a high bar to a degree where there is any real amount of technical progress to be made, ASIDE from the error of PULLING, which can be addressed. Mixing the grip will cause your body to be twisted at the start of the drill, which is distracting from the point.

Regular bubkas I would reccommend a mixed grip, for safety reasons more than anything else.

Just some thoughts.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:44 am

The top part of it is of little to no importance: it is not possible to simulate the inversion on a high bar to a degree where there is any real amount of technical progress to be made

I disagree. The Bubka drill teaches you quite a bit about how it needs to feel at the top, whether swinging or not. Any pressure in the wrong direction with your hands and you don't stay inverted. It IS a very difficult drill for beginners or athletes that don't have much core strength. It is much easier to do on the rings, as someone suggested, and that's really the best place to start if you have access to rings.

pistolpete6994
PV Nerd
Expertise: Once a Collegiate Vaulter- Now HS Coach

Unread postby pistolpete6994 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:22 pm

Here are some clips of several exercises... including bubkas.

http://www.polevaultworld.com/PVD_Launders.html
To the moon!

professor
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby professor » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:20 am

how i was tought is swinging until i could learn to whip my trail leg back so that i would lead with my chest. it sort of feels like a jerking motion at first but it is much easier to get upside doing using this method

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:48 am

I strongly recomend getting stronger at doing these.

Rick Baggett
WSTC
Good coaching is good teaching.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”