Brad Hollowell raises the bar (MD)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Brad Hollowell raises the bar (MD)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:55 pm

http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/2011 ... /102030374

Hollowell raises the bar
BY SHAWN NISSON • STAFF WRITER • FEBRUARY 3, 2011
Comments(0) Recommend(1) Print this page E-mail this article Share
Type Size A A A
SNOW HILL -- Have you ever wondered what it's like to fly?

Ask Stephen Decatur's Brad Hollowell.

The senior pole-vaulter rewrote the conference record books, clearing 14 feet, 9 inches during Wednesday's Bayside indoor track and field championships at the Worcester County Recreation Center.

Hollowell's vault bested the mark of 14 feet, 6 inches set by David Hinton of Queen Anne's in 2000. It also is the highest a Stephen Decatur pole-vaulter has ever gone, and it is the standing record for the Worcester County Recreation Center. And to cap it off, even though Hollowell is a two-time state champion in the event, Wednesday's vault gave him his first Bayside title.

"It felt pretty good -- any time you break a record you have to be happy," Hollowell said. "I've won states, but for some reason I couldn't do Baysides. I think I just had some bad luck before, but I guess I broke that today."

Hollowell said the mark means less to him than reaching his ultimate goal.

"What I want to do is set the Maryland state record," Hollowell said. "Right now, it's 15 feet, 1.5 inches. If I would have done everything right, I think I could have been around 15 feet today. But I'm hoping at states I will have a faster runway. I will have spikes in my shoes, so I will have better traction, and I'm hoping that I can do better there."

Parkside's Shelby Gardiner is also familiar with flying. The junior pole-vaulter continued her undefeated streak this season by clearing a 9 feet and earning her first Bayside title.

"I got second in Baysides last year, but I have been regional champion for two years in a row, and I'm undefeated in pole vaulting this year," Gardiner said. "I worked really hard, so it's really exciting to get rewarded. But every time I win another meet, it just makes me want to try harder and go higher."

rnisson@dmg.gannett.com

Nolan
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.12m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stevenson

Re: Brad Hollowell raises the bar (MD)

Unread postby Nolan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:49 pm

I remember vaulting against him at regionals once. He came in WAYYYYYY too low and the wind kept blowing his pole into the bar. He cleared like 14'6 that day but came in at 10 or 11. It was pretty funny to watch

Return to “Northeast Region”