Chris Solinisky DOMINATES his first 10k

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Chris Solinisky DOMINATES his first 10k

Unread postby Lax PV » Mon May 03, 2010 1:26 am

I remember seeing this guy break the HS 2 mile record his junior year... he is a total stud..

http://www.iaaf.org/news/kind=100/newsid=56614.html

2 May 2010 – Palo Alto, USA - American Chris Solinsky made an auspicious debut in the 10,000m Saturday night at the Payton Jordan Cardinal Invitational at Stanford University and came away with an historic win by becoming the first non-African to break the 27-minute barrier with a stunning 26:59.60 victory. It was a North American area record, and not surprisingly, a world-leading mark.

Both Solinsky’s time and his win were unexpected, as the event had long been billed as an attempt by Galen Rupp on the existing American record of 27:13.98, set by Meb Keflezighi on the same Stanford University track nine years ago.

Using superior finishing power rooted in his 3:37 speed in the 1500m, the barrel-chested 25-year-old Wisconsin native broke open a four-runner pack with 700 metres remaining and closed out the final two laps in 60.0 and 56.2 to record the landmark win over Rupp and two African challengers. As Solinsky crossed the finish, a Bannister-like aura came over the American spectators as they turned their eyes to the finish-line clock to realise they had seen something truly remarkable.

Although 31 African runners had preceded Solinsky under 27 minutes, tonight’s performance signaled that the feat was no longer their exclusive domain.

Kenyan Simon Ndirangu took the field past the first four kilometres, beginning with an undulating mélange of early laps ranging from 64 to 68 seconds before settling into repeated circuits in the desired range of 65.5 seconds or less. Ndirangu’s countryman, 20-year-old Mathew Kisorio - himself a 13:02 5K runner last season - then took over and pulled the group to 13:34 at the halfway point, which augured for a successful American record run.

At 6500 metres, Rupp set out on his own and maintained the 64-65 tempo well, with Kenyans Sam Chelanga and Daniel Salel, plus Solinsky, following in a tight pack.

Rupp pushed the pace even harder at 8500, and within 100 metres, Solinsky responded to move past the Kenyans into second behind the Beijing 10,000m finalist. Just slightly more than a lap later, at 9300 metres, Solinsky went strongly to the front and enjoyed an advantage of almost ten metres before Rupp himself tried vainly to stage a comeback. Soon, both Chelanga and Salel passed the fading Rupp, whose goal of an American record was suddenly shattered.

In all, 11 of the 24 finishers broke the 28-minute level, once again demonstrating the magic of the Cobb Track at Angell Field in producing magnificent distance performances. Salel (27:07.85), Chelanga (27:08.39) and Rupp (27:10.74) all scored personal bests ahead of the evening’s goal of 27:13.98, as did all of the top eight finishers.

Solinksy – ‘I’m still really a 5K guy’

Still on an adrenalin high, Solinsky was remarkably fresh after the end of his 25-lap race. “I really didn’t come here to run a fast time,” he said to the gathered media. “I came here to win. I knew the time would take care of itself.”

A side stitch which came shortly before the halfway point caused him some anxiety, but after six or seven laps of deep breathing, the situation abated, “and with a mile to go, I knew I would finish.”

“I had no idea of what would happen tonight. I felt that a time between 26:55 and 28:00 was possible for me. I’m still really a 5K guy. I’m just dabbling with this at the moment.”

The affable Solinsky was quick to pay tribute to those who had gone before. “The old American record by Meb was really a solid one. As I traveled here, I was telling myself I would be quite content to run a 27:20, especially as a newcomer to the event. But all of this would never have happened without Galen and the pacemakers. I know I’ll take a lot of heat for letting Galen do all the work and then kicking at the end, but, as I said before, I never chase times. I just try to win. That’s our group’s philosophy.”

Training under the tutelage of Jerry Schumaker ever since his student days at the University of Wisconsin, Solinsky has made an American 5000m record attempt (12:56.27) the big goal for this season. “I plan to run the event in Oslo in early June just to ‘get the kinks out’. But the big race is planned for the (Prefontaine Classic) in early July. The mission is to run a sub-13 on American soil.”

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Chris Solinisky DOMINATES his first 10k

Unread postby KirkB » Mon May 03, 2010 1:42 am

Lax PV wrote: ... Chris Solinsky ... came away with an historic win by becoming the first non-African to break the 27-minute barrier with a stunning 26:59.60 victory.

Wow! And I thought Pre was a stud when he did 27:43 in 1974! :star:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Re: Chris Solinisky DOMINATES his first 10k

Unread postby Lax PV » Mon May 03, 2010 10:55 am

KirkB wrote:
Lax PV wrote: ... Chris Solinsky ... came away with an historic win by becoming the first non-African to break the 27-minute barrier with a stunning 26:59.60 victory.

Wow! And I thought Pre was a stud when he did 27:43 in 1974! :star:

Kirk

Well let's not kid ourselves... 27:43 in 1974 was a stud.

Return to “General Track and Field”