Best way to transport a pole... with a Hyundai Tibron=/

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

vaultLizz12
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 7'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Best way to transport a pole... with a Hyundai Tibron=/

Unread postby vaultLizz12 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:42 pm

[color=#004000]Hey guys!
I'm going to a PV camp a few hours away from my home in about a week. I camp asked that we bring our own poles and that fine except for the fact that i am the only vaulter from my area attending and my car is extremely small. I need to get the pole there, making the 4 hr drive safely... an suggestions?? :confused:
[/color]
We put the POLE in the PIT ;)

yankee814
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Hooker

Re: Best way to transport a pole... with a Hyundai Tibron=/

Unread postby yankee814 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:41 pm

open the passenger side window and put the pole in as far back as it goes into the car

unfortunately the window needs to remain open but you can use a garbage bag to cover the open parts of the window. be sure to tape or secure the back of the pole so that it does not slide out in case of a short stop, belts and bungee cords should work for that,

other wise you can put a conventional cargo rack on top and tape the pole(s) down against the cargo rack bar. This is obviosusly the safer way but you have to be aware of the length that the pole protrudes from both ends of the car
Sophomore 2nd year Vaulter

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:55 pm

yankee814 wrote: open the passenger side window and put the pole in as far back as it goes into the car ...

No ... this is really not a good idea at all. I wouldn't go more than a mile that way ... certainly not 4 hours! The pole will stick out the side of the car too much - well into the next lane of cars - or worse yet, it could hit road signs! Yikes!

You have 2 options.

1. Put the pole (in its case) along the passenger side of the car, tied to the front grill and the back trunk. If you open the hood and the trunk, you'll find some sturdy brackets to tie it to. Once you slam the trunk and the hood, the pole should be tight to the car. The only problem is that if you have a passenger, he/she will have to get in/out thru the window or thru the driver's side door.

2. Put the pole on the roof, tied to the front and rear bumpers. You should put some towels or foam under the bag or case where it's resting on the roof, otherwise you'll get roof paint damage from the constant shifting of the case back and forth. You should also tie the middle of the pole case down, so that it doesn't shift side-to-side. This can be done by tying it thru both windows, so that it's tight, and can't shift side-to-side. Then roll up the windows - which will have to stay open a crack. You can avoid this by tying TWO ropes to the front and back bumpers - in a triangle shape to the ends of each bumper. This provides lateral support, so you don't have to keep the windows open a crack. Don't be afraid of putting a serious bend in your pole when you tie it down - this will keep it more solid in the wind, and keep it from flapping around when you're driving - which can be very distracting to you when you're trying to watch the road.

Either one of these solutions keeps the pole from sticking out into traffic or into the way of road signs. It's actually illegal to have anything sticking out that far.

Speaking of legality, you should have a red flag on the end of your pole, since it will extend past your back bumper. Then it's perfectly legal.

The cargo rack is also a good idea, but if this is the only reason you'd use it, it's not worth the money. Towels are just as good.

Oh ... another idea is to go to IKEA and get some straps for hauling big things on top of the car. It's a very cheap alternative to a cargo rack, and is actually all you need. Then you don't even need to worry about tying the strap thru the windows, becuz they fasten to the gutters above each window ... or to the door frames. I realize most modern cars don't have gutters! he he! If yours doesn't, IKEA might advise you on another system they have that doesn't require gutters. Or maybe you could research that on the IKEA website.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:09 am

I just noticed this thread - http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1176&p=140008#p140008 which I think give slightly better advice than mine above. :dazed:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:00 am

In my state, something has to extend 4' or more from the car to need a red flag. I have driven all over the country with poles on the roof of my car, never had a red flag, never had a problem. I've gotten speeding tickets with poles on the car, and they usually asked what was in there, but never mentioned needing a flag

Of course the rules vary within the 50 states, so make sure you know what your local laws are.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:37 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:In my state, something has to extend 4' or more from the car to need a red flag. ...

You would think that a Customs officer would ask what's in the tube ... but I often drove across the US/Canada border, and they never even questioned it.

Of course, that was before 911.

Speaking of fastening the ends of the tubes tight, I had a pole slide out the front when my coach slammed on his brakes. He ran over the pole and crushed the top. Had to saw the top off, which might have been a blessing in disguise, since I was forced to use a low grip. Ended up PR'ing with it! :D

Kirk

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:24 pm

I never had trouble crossing the border with poles. I think they usually asked, but didn't give me a hard time about it.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:30 pm

There's a really nice inflatable roof rack ... designed for poles ... sold by Gill. Take a look at it here ... http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19597&p=140581#p140581

Kirk

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:57 am

The red trash bags make the best flags . . .

yz85608
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Shawn Barber

Unread postby yz85608 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:23 am

http://www.everythingtrackandfield.com/ ... ryID_E_221
These are super nice if you only have 5-6 poles, you just can't use a tube. Other than that I love these.

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:17 am

Before I had money to buy a roof rack and all the nice things to carry my poles, here's how I did it when I went to camp in high school:

Rest your pole/s ( no more than two ) in the gap between the side mirror and the car. Wrap a bungee cord around the pole/s and the side mirror. Wrap another bungee cord around the poles and hook the ends of the bungee cord inside the trunk lid. There's always a bunch of holes in the underneath of the trunk lid. Then close the trunk. Poles nicely secured to your car. I also put a towel between the car and the poles near the trunk end so the poles wouldn't scratch the car. I drove on the highway with this setup too. Worked awesome all through high school. Sorry I don't have pics.
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

vaultLizz12
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 7'

Unread postby vaultLizz12 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Thanks for all the help guys!i actilly got the poles there, but i'm taking mine and my friends pole about 20 minutes away tomorrow from a practice day because or track is currently underconstruction, and we can't figure out how to tire the poles on to this car, ha has a newer Chevy montecarlo... and we're confused :confused:
We put the POLE in the PIT ;)

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”