Steve Hooker's New Swing

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Steve Hooker's New Swing

Unread postby altius » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks joeyx -eventually managed to find a clip that was pretty conclusive. The knee was driven up at the moment he left the ground and maintained in that same relative position throughout the swing. Does any one see it differently? If not - when do the mea culpas begin? :devil:

Just remember that my original position - expressed in BTB two years or more ago - was that while there are advantages to a double leg swing - which stiff polers HAD TO exploit in the old days - those advantages cause the vaulter to swing more slowly and make it difficult for them to REALLY cover the pole, as demonstrated in the second Bubka clip Sean so kindly put up for me on neovault. Page 49 of BTB deals with this as it summarises why Bubka's technique was so efficient. :yes:

On another topic - which I am sure will be raised with great glee before too long - why did Isinbayeva fail again? My suspicion is that she is mentally tired and jaded - perhaps even wondering if it is worth the bother now that she is independently wealthy. I first saw her jump in the World Youths in 1999 - and she had been training seriously as a vaulter and as a gymnast for some years before that -so I would not be surprised if this is the case. Hope she gets it sorted and is ready for London - after which she has indicated she will definitely retire. :crying:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:08 pm

hey

we must be seeing diffferent video..

dj

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 pm

xjoeyx wrote:If your referring to the 6.01 at doha then we have 2 links.
http://www.universalsports.com/video/as ... pole+vault

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2JtQrZ705o

I'm not having much luck.

The youtube vid has been blocked in Canada, with this error message: This video contains content from sportsnetwork, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds. Is it blocked in the USA too? :confused:

The universalsports vid fails with this error message: Video Error - The video is not loading properly.

Any suggestions?

Could someone possibly download the youtube vid for me, then send it to me via email? Or maybe put it on a server that's not so stringent in their rules? e.g. http://polevaultvideos.fliggo.com/ or http://www.treemo.com? Thanks!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:48 pm

"we must be seeing diffferent video.." That may indeed be the case -so what are you seeing dj?

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:01 am

I'm in the same boat as Kirk, I can't see anything!

I even tried using some US proxies on my browser (to make it look like I'm actually trying to access the clips from inside the US) but I couldn't get through. I might try a couple more reliable proxies later on.

xjoeyx, would you mind doing some screencaps of Hooker at the cord of the pole please?

Just pause the youtube video right as Hooker is at the cord and hit 'Prt Scr' (Next to F12). Then open up Microsoft Paint (or equivalent) and hit paste and crop the image. Then save as jpeg and post here. No worries if you can't do it.

Or Altius, perhaps if you could post a link to the video you saw that would also be really good.

Either one would be greatly appreciated.

-Andrew
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:32 am

Alan, Isi has said many times that she changed her mind about retiring after London and will wait until after the World Champs in Russia in 2013.

But she could always change it again. She wants to get married and have babies, so I would imagine the status of her personal life will at least subconsciously play a role. Easier to compete longer if there is not a good baby-daddy in the picture.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:38 am

"if there is not a good baby-daddy in the picture." I suspect that there plenty ready to try.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:40 am

Re the video - it was the second of the clips Joey suggested -took some tracking but found it by putting in - Hooker pole vaulting in Doha -nota good angle -will only confound the issue.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:54 am

altius wrote:"if there is not a good baby-daddy in the picture." I suspect that there plenty ready to try.

:yes:
:rose:
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:23 am

Here's a highlight video of Hooker's clearances and the WR attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RuqlID4Eis

It's a nice looking highlight video but not all that helpful to us because it never shows a perfect side-on angle at the cord. But from what I can tell he's not dropping the front leg.

-Andrew

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:03 pm

"we must be seeing diffferent video.." That may indeed be the case -so what are you seeing dj? Funny never got an answer to that? What about the latest clip - what do you see there??

Well folks it doesnt matter what you see there because there is no new Hooker swing! Alex got back to me last night and made it clear what he thinks about this issue -unfortunately he forgot Perth is 2 1/2 hours behind Adelaide and woke me up -so I was not at my best when he gave me his take on this.

He DOES NOT CARE what the athlete does in that phase of the vault! He focusses on only two things. The run and take off - and the amount of energy the athlete gets back at the top of the vault after covering the pole. Many of his athletes keep their knee up - including Budge, Vikki and Liz - others do not. It seems that Steve is in the middle, responding intuitively to what has happened at take off. So re the Sydney jump Alex says it was a b......t jump because Steve was way under at take off -over striding over last five steps. They worked on that and in Doha he took off at 4.40m.

So I was right when I said "Who am I to argue with a coach who has produced two world champions" but wrong to say that he believed in keeping the knee up -although it appears to me that is what steve did on the jump we have just seen.

So where does that leave us. Well it seems as tho Alex has taken and applied the message of stiff pole vaulting IE to take off out - and then as Warmerdam emphasised, "ensure a giant swing that goes on and on" . Incidentally that is how agapit sees the vault. With that in mind it is clear that Jason Colnwick should be left alone because he meets those criteria - the genius there has to be Kris Allison who made that decision very early on in Jason's career.

I will eat my humble pie tonight. Fortunately Jenny is a great cook and will produce something edible. Whatever - I can wash it down with a couple of bottles of good Aussie red.

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:33 pm

I'll take a piece of that pie too if it's alright with you Alan lol!

Moral of the story, as Parnov AND Petrov AND Botcharnikov put it - all that matters is the run, plant and take off. Things will take care of itself if you get those right.

But at least the thread generated some good discussion!

-Andrew

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”