Biofreeze

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Biofreeze

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:12 pm

My doctor has me using this analgesic... "Biofreeze" it's called. It's a seagreen gel and reeks of menthol. Has anyone else used this? I like it, it really seems to work, but I'm just looking for a good review of the product. Anyone?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Biofreeze

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:22 pm

I know a bunch of people that use it and love it. IT IS VERY STRONG! But at school they have gallon jugs with push tops in the training room.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:33 am

dont go in a hot tub or put any hot water on the area after you use it. It super sensitizes your skin and you will get burned pretty badly.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

yankee814
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Hooker

Unread postby yankee814 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:15 am

I've used it before, it works wonders! :yes:

But be sure that once you put it on there is no contact with water, it has somewhat of a tripling effect. The same thing goes for washing it off: Once its on for about 30 seconds don't wash it, one of my friends had a bad experience there.

Other than that its great!
Sophomore 2nd year Vaulter

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:14 pm

that kind of stuff makes you "feel" better but it actually doesnt help the muscle if there is a true strain or anything like that
pain is only temporary victory is forever

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:07 pm

I picked some up a few years ago, and it works great - mentally/physically...

Anyone know where/how to get more?
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:47 pm

That stuff is GREAT.
During XC season, before meets, I put it on my legs, shoulders and stomach before running bc it helps with soreness/cramping.
Also, it's great for running in the heat. I wouldn't put it on just for that reason, but for a meet, to help keep my muscles from cramping up, it's great.
It's great stuff...Icyhot does NOTHING for me [I've tried it multiple times] to no avail. Biofreeze works wonders.
It sweats off pretty quickly if you're sweating.

That said, if you're in a group and multiple people are wearing it...avoid small spaces.
Before XC races, we pray before the races...you HAVE to close your eyes from all the fumes. It's not pleasant to get it in your eyes, not even the fumes.
Other than that, it's great!
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:15 pm

I was foolish enough the other day to put some on and then keep rubbing my eye... with the fingers I used to apply it... even though I kept saying I'd remember that I couldn't do that! :o It didn't feel too swell. :no:

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:19 am

powerplant42 wrote:I was foolish enough the other day to put some on and then keep rubbing my eye... with the fingers I used to apply it... even though I kept saying I'd remember that I couldn't do that! :o It didn't feel too swell. :no:

Haha...that happens...the one downside to running is when you have to rub your eyes...and the stuff is EVERYWHERE because I put it on my shoulders and stomach and legs. So...it's hard to wipe sweat off my brow. I end up using my uniform, but its not always a winning combination.
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:54 pm

nitro wrote:that kind of stuff makes you "feel" better but it actually doesnt help the muscle if there is a true strain or anything like that

You got that right....biofreeze, icy hot, flexall.....they are all counter irritants.....they are designed to decrease pain, which they do a great job of....but don't be fooled into thinking they do much of anything else outside of the placebo effect.
Man Up and Jump

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:44 pm

birdi_gurlie wrote:That stuff is GREAT.
During XC season, before meets, I put it on my legs, shoulders and stomach before running bc it helps with soreness/cramping.
Also, it's great for running in the heat. I wouldn't put it on just for that reason, but for a meet, to help keep my muscles from cramping up, it's great.

Cramping? Is this one of the product's purported benefits? How do you know it helps prevent muscle cramping? What muscles were prevented from cramping?

- master

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Maybe they cramped, but they just didn't hurt... Now that I think about it, that might be a little dangerous... :no: If something STARTS hurting, then you should feel it so that you can take care of it. If the pain lingers and the source has been recognized and examined, THEN pull out the analgesics and pain killers.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”