It all begins with the first step!

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
pvking99
PV Newbie

It all begins with the first step!

Unread postby pvking99 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:53 pm

I myself enjoy doing alot of video study and I've noticed many ways some of the worlds best vaulters begin their approach toward take-off. What I want to know specifically though concerns world class vaulters Jeff Hartwig, Derek Miles. Now I notice that each on(Miles and Hartwig) takes approx. 2 steps before beginning their run which usually turns out to be an 18 step run. DO those first 2 steps count toward making this a 20 step run?(Or 10 lefts for those of you who count it that way) Or is it just like the skip Brad Walker does to begin his momentum. All theories and observations welcome.
Be like Bubka.

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: It all begins with the first step!

Unread postby ACvault » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:26 pm

I would say not because they are not putting the same amount of power into their hop step/skip as they are for their regular strides.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:35 pm

They do not count their skip when saying how many steps they are running from.

pvking99
PV Newbie

Unread postby pvking99 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:50 pm

This has been enlightening! Seriously!
Be like Bubka.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:03 am

And they should not have skipped into their approach!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:33 am

altius wrote:And they should not have skipped into their approach!

Yeh, I agree. I cannot imagine how you can CONSISTENTLY skip the exact same amount each on each vault. For that reason, I much prefer taking a short STEP first, then accelerating from there.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:58 am

KirkB wrote:
altius wrote:And they should not have skipped into their approach!

Yeh, I agree. I cannot imagine how you can CONSISTENTLY skip the exact same amount each on each vault. For that reason, I much prefer taking a short STEP first, then accelerating from there.

Kirk

Many elites use a check mark that they look at a few steps into the run to make sure they got off to a consistent start.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:21 am

"Many elites use a check mark that they look at a few steps into the run to make sure they got off to a consistent start." Just remember that Bubka, Tarasov and Markov -as well as Isinbayeva now - began their run up from a very still and balanced position. No running into a mark and certainly no hops skips or jumps.

There comes a time folk when you have to make up your mind what you believe in - and follow through with that belief. There really are not thousands of effective ways to pole vault.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:44 pm

I dont know as much as i wish to about the run in comparison to other parts of the vault. I could see using a 2 step "speed" or "check" mark to be sure you are consistent. What thoughts do you have to how it might make the run less consistent? It seems like a useful tool when drilling a cadence of any run into your head.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:56 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote: Many elites use a check mark that they look at a few steps into the run to make sure they got off to a consistent start.

If you're "skipping inconsistently" when you start your run, it SOUNDS like a good idea to check your step a few strides in.

However ...

1. For the sake of simplicity and consistency, why not just run off your start mark CONSISTENTLY, without any hops, skips, or stutter steps? That would be simpler ... and more consistent ... would it not? :confused:

2. The amount that you're off by might be only a couple inches. This MIGHT be important if it results on being an inch or two UNDER or OUT on takeoff, but considering your overall vault, are you really going to stop your run after a few steps (and after you're "psyched to go" for the sake of an inch or two ... and when the clock is running ... and will you even NOTICE it if you're just a couple inches out? :confused:

3. Should you really be looking DOWN at your checkmark instead of at the box? :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:15 am

KirkB wrote:3. Should you really be looking DOWN at your checkmark instead of at the box? :confused:

Kirk

The checkmark is way back on the runway, the negative effects of looking down at it are minimal at that point. You would never want to look down at something closer, your mid mark for example. Never catch your own mid!

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:02 pm

The speed marks are within the first 2 lefts generally.

I personally use a speed mark 10'3" from my first step, and it has no effect on my having my head "down" (if you can even call it that) for that short a distance. if you look at any of my 12,14,16, 18 step videos on youtube, i am using a speed mark.

Also as far as skipping goes. As long as its consistent i dont see a problem with it. Especially when people who static start often pick up that first foot and wind up moving anyway. One of the reasons i moved to a walk stop into my run was because i somehow got into a nasty habit of lifting my left foot at at the start, and it was horribly inconsistent.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”