Coach Stan Solomon passed away

A forum to post announcements about clubs, camps, or competitions. Old posts are moved to the appropriate regional forum below. This is also a forum where I make announcements regarding PoleVaultPower.com. All other posts in this forum will be deleted. Please read the descriptions of the forums below, if your post is not a club/camp/competition, it does not belong in this forum.
sawoods
PV Newbie

Coach Stan Solomon passed away

Unread postby sawoods » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:31 pm

It is with deep sadness that I inform the pole vault community that Coach Stan Solomon passed away last night. He has been fighting internal illnesses for the past year and now rests peacefully. His family was by his side and many friends in the Coos Bay area had an opportunity to say their goodbyes.

Stan was very proud and appreciative of the National Coach of the Year Award bestowed upon him at the Pole Vault Summit this year. He touch the lives of many during his 48 years of coaching high school athletes and those those that knew him well, he never stopped learning an event, he never stopped teaching, and he always had the gift.

I will miss our hunting, fishing and crabbing trips, my boys will miss their Coach but, for sure, he will be missed by everyone that new him.

Rest in Peace Sol,

Stuart Woods

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Coach Stan Solomon passed away

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:13 pm

I am so sorry to hear about this :( We all just saw Stan at the Pole Vault Summit when he won his award.

A really great coach. I jumped against his vaulters at Junior Olympics when I was in high school, and then I saw him years and years later and he still remembered me from that. There was an article about him just a few days ago: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16632

stargrazer
PV Beginner

Unread postby stargrazer » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:08 pm

So sad, he seems like he was a great man.

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:04 am

Stan will be sorely missed here in Oregon. He and I battled for years for the state PV Titles... Unfortunately for me he won most of them. I will always remember him stalking the East Grandstand in intense thought trying help his kids win the titles that they did. And the joy that he was able to help bring to his athletes. I shall miss him.

Rick Baggett
Good coaching is good teaching.

Dave eckes
PV Newbie

Unread postby Dave eckes » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:33 am

What a sad day in the pole vault world. what a great friend .what a great coach. what a great mentor. he loved his kids and there were lots. this might sound crazy but give me a million bucks or give me a good friend i'll take the good friend anyday. we"ll miss you soly. Dave Eckes

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:39 am

I will miss the clams with bacon strips cooked on the barbecue after the street vault with all you guys. Stan at the barbecue cooking up all the stuff and graciously bringing on more for use greedy guys..

Rick
Good coaching is good teaching.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:10 am

How sad to learn of Stan's passing. He has touched many people in this sport we love. His friendship will be missed by so many including me. I send my sympathy to his wife and family.

- master/John Altendorf

awiley
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 3.65m

Unread postby awiley » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:49 am

Stan Solomon was one of the greatest men I knew. He was my coach, my friend, my mentor, and my third grandfather. I will miss the fun times we all had with him and the advice he was always able to give. He was one of the most selfless, giving, humble men I knew. There is no way to ever forget him. He impacted my life in so many ways and was able to help me make a dream come true many would have thought impossible. He never gave up on any of us. I know he is in a better place now and he isn't hurting anymore but the loss still leaves a big void in my heart. We will always remember and miss you Solly.

Amber Wiley

Jkirk
PV Newbie

Unread postby Jkirk » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:13 am

Coach Solomon was the kindest, most giving, unselfish men I have ever have been associated with. I polevaulted for him the past few years and from these years i was given more than just a coach; Soly was a Friend. He invited us into his home, he shared with his knowledge of the sport and most of all he loved us for who we were no matter what the circumstances. Those of you that knew him were blessed to be a part of his wonderful life. They dont make people like Soly very often, he was one of a kind, and the community Lost an amazing person when Stan solomon passed away, and he will be in all of our hearts.
RIP Coach Sol

-Justin Kirk

Dave eckes
PV Newbie

Unread postby Dave eckes » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:46 am

Just to let everybody know,
There will be a celebration of life for COACH SOLY sunday Jan 25th at Marshfield high school main gym at 1:00 p.m

awiley
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 3.65m

Unread postby awiley » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:10 pm

I am very sad that I will not be able to return home to attend Soly's memorial. I know that he would want us all to keep vaulting so I must remain at school to do just that. This year will be for Coach Soly and he will forever remain in my heart. I love you Sol, rest in peace.

vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaultwest » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:01 pm

We have all lost a great friend and mentor. Stan was a such a fierce competitor, great friend and truly a master coach. Of all the coaches I have known Stan had the most special way of getting high school kids to dedicate themselves and become the very best vaulter and person that they could be. I will miss his phone calls about drills and workout ideas. He was always so humble, asking questions as if he were the one that needed to be taught while in fact he was actually mentoring me. I wish all his family and past athletes the best and good luck to the Marshfield track family, I know it will be tough to go on but we all must becasue that is what Stan would want. I will have to miss his Memorial Service because we will be having a Pole vault competition at our place. But of course we will dedicate our competition to Stan and I know that is what he would want. Here's to Stan one of the great ones.
Vault On

Return to “Website News and Camp/Competition Announcements”