Alana Boyd only Aussie female vaulter for Beijing

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Alana Boyd only Aussie female vaulter for Beijing

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:27 am

http://www.uq.edu.au/news/?article=15458

Pole vaulter set to soar in Beijing

Published: 28 July 2008
Print this story
Email this article

Ms Boyd Many Australian athletes hope to hit new heights at the Beijing Olympics, but Alana Boyd will likely trump them all.

The UQ business management graduate is Australia's sole representative in the women's pole vault, and earned her place on the team after taking out the event at the 2008 National Athletics Championships with an A-qualifying jump of 4.45 metres.

Both her parents have tasted Olympic success already – her father Ray in 1972 and 1976 in the pole vault and her mother Denise in the sprints and relay events in 1976 and 1980.

“I used to be a hurdler and was always involved in athletics,” Ms Boyd said.

“My dad was a pole vaulter and asked my siblings and I if we'd like to ‘have a swing on a pole' and my brother and I gave it a go. I guess I was a natural and haven't looked back.”

Coached by her father, Ms Boyd holds the Queensland Under 23 record and represented Australia at the 2007 World Championships in Osaka.

Her selection for Beijing marks the first time an Australian athlete has followed both parents into the Olympic arena.

“Making the team was very exciting and a bit of relief. It was extra special because I joined my parents as Olympians and created Australian Olympic history,” she said.

“I remember writing on my report card when I was about eight that my goal was to one day represent Australia at the Olympic Games. I had no idea I would be competing in the pole vault.”

While studying at UQ Ms Boyd was the recipient of a sporting scholarship that helped take the pressure off training and physiotherapy expenses, and since graduating in 2004 has honed her skills as a development officer with Athletics Queensland.

And with the biggest meet of her career on the horizon, the 24-year-old is already looking forward to future challenges.

“Right now my goal is to make the final in Beijing and then anything can happen. I am in good shape and ready to jump some big heights,” she said.

“Beijing will only be the start of my career. Come London in 2012 I think I am capable of being very competitive with the top pole vaulters in the world. To win gold in London would be amazing!”

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Alana Boyd only Aussie female vaulter for Beijing

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:23 am

http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/aug/05/alana-boyd/

Alana Boyd
1:26p.m. 5th August 2008 | By Jon Tuxworth

Boyd will make Australian Olympic history when the women’s pole vault is held during the second week of the Games.

The 24-year-old will become the first Aussie to join both her parents as Olympian. Father and coach Ray competed in Montreal 1976 and Moscow 1980 as a pole vaulter, while mother Denise made the 200m finals at the same Olympics.

Boyd first cleared the 4.45m A-qualifying mark at a low key meet at University of Sunshine Coast, before repeating the dose at the Australian Championships to book her Olympic place.

There is every chance Alana won’t be the last Boyd to grace the biggest sporting stage on earth. Younger siblings Matt (pole vault) and Jacinta (long jump) are also highly promising athletes.

When Alana’s competing:

Qualifying: Saturday, August 16 (12.10 – 2.30pm our time)
Final: Monday, August 18 (9.20-11.50pm our time)

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:32 pm

Congrats to this young lady and her family. My question is why are they only sending one girl vaulter to the Olympics?
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:55 pm

Because in OZ only kids with very supportive and financially endowed parents can afford to continue vaulting past the age of 19. There are no college scholarships here - in any sport - so you need to get out and make a living - this makes it difficult to continue on. Also our selection policies make it very difficult for kids -there has been no concept of developmental selection . Note Wendy Young 4.40 - at age 19 - met the qualifying height in March 04 but was not selected -she would have been selected in many other countries including Britain. Now I believe she would have been jumping 4.70. So what is the point in spending your families money, training very seriously - just to get around four decent comps a year!!! In other words the competition structure and opportunities for young athletes are crap. It is interesting to note that both Alan and Steve Hooker had parents who had been international athletes so were prepared to make the commitment for their kids. :no: :mad:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:37 pm

Oh hush both of you. Be nice.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”