Who is the Best American Pole Vaulter in History

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Re: if you want to talk different categories

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:58 pm

OUvaulterUSAF wrote:In my opinion...
Best vaulter at "steadying" a bar during a jump.
1. Joe Dial
2. Tim McMichaels

oh, come on!

Dave Volz!!!!!!

He's the guy it was named after!

He could grab the bar on his way up, bend it down a few inches to make room for him to clear, then gently leave the bar up without so much as a wiggle
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:14 pm

Ash, I think Dean Starkey was the king of the volzers. Yeah, Volz coined it, but Dean was the master. Slover and Hartwig are right up there too. I have video of Dean absolutely nailing the bar; I'm talking standards waving three feet each way (exaggeration*) and the bar stayed. I think Dean could have drug 21 feet two feet down and got it too stay. Anyway there is my thoughts on the matter.
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

eleazar
PV Fan
Lifetime Best: 19'2"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Tim Bright, Dave Volz, and the list goes on and on...

Unread postby eleazar » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:57 pm

how about all the other U.S. Champions, all you guys talking about Jacob Davis, but you fail to recognize that he NEVER won a U.S. Championship, which means he was never on a U.S. team, unless you count his No-Height in the Jr. Pan Am Games in Cuba 1997(where he was obviously in his "prime"). But there are hundreds of guys that need to be recognized if you want to point out excellence, one for sure is Tim Bright, the guy won the U.S. Championships in the decathlon in 87' and also won the Vault in 91' and 92'...talk about "potential" the guy could thow the shot 50', fly in the hurdles...he finished the 1500meters of the decathlon in which he also jumped 18-8, then turned around and made the olympic team for the vault the same day...lets see any of your Jacob Davis/ Lawerence Johnsons do that!!!

Your talking about Dave Volz holding up the bar, but what most proabably don't know was that he ran 10.2 in the 100 meters...talk about potential!! he was also a stud high jumper/long jumper and hurdler...

Huffman, Tarpening, Dial, Tully, Ripley, Olson, Buckingham, Roberts, Seagran, Railsback...

Each of these guys have something in common, they are all U.S. Champions...potential or not, they made it to the elite level, and the are a million ways to achieve success in the vault...If your a 5'5"-6'5", slow or fast, do what it takes and you will jump high!!

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: Tim Bright, Dave Volz, and the list goes on and on...

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:25 pm

eleazar wrote:how about all the other U.S. Champions, all you guys talking about Jacob Davis, but you fail to recognize that he NEVER won a U.S. Championship, which means he was never on a U.S. team, unless you count his No-Height in the Jr. Pan Am Games in Cuba 1997(where he was obviously in his "prime"). But there are hundreds of guys that need to be recognized if you want to point out excellence, one for sure is Tim Bright, the guy won the U.S. Championships in the decathlon in 87' and also won the Vault in 91' and 92'...talk about "potential" the guy could thow the shot 50', fly in the hurdles...he finished the 1500meters of the decathlon in which he also jumped 18-8, then turned around and made the olympic team for the vault the same day...lets see any of your Jacob Davis/ Lawerence Johnsons do that!!!

Your talking about Dave Volz holding up the bar, but what most proabably don't know was that he ran 10.2 in the 100 meters...talk about potential!! he was also a stud high jumper/long jumper and hurdler...

Huffman, Tarpening, Dial, Tully, Ripley, Olson, Buckingham, Roberts, Seagran, Railsback...

Each of these guys have something in common, they are all U.S. Champions...potential or not, they made it to the elite level, and the are a million ways to achieve success in the vault...If your a 5'5"-6'5", slow or fast, do what it takes and you will jump high!!

sorry I grewup in Oklahoma from '92-'00 around Big 12 vaulters and only know the recent names.
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:25 pm

Another guy that is now in his 50's - World Record Holder , Olympic Medalist - Jan Johnson -
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

vaulter580
PV Whiz

?

Unread postby vaulter580 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:51 pm

the way i see it is:: you can't just say that one person is the greatest american vaulter of all time by the meets they won ect. because in that case everyone has their own opinion of who is better, so if you want to pin one person as the greatest of all time you have to go with PR, and how consistant they were at that jump. i think if you want one name for the greatest ever its hartwig, he has dominated for the past several years, and has the indoor and outdoor record.................both over 6.00m!!
BZ
Arkansas State University
sign yo pitty on da runny kine!!!

Sebes
PV Whiz

Best American Vaulter

Unread postby Sebes » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:21 pm

Gold Medal - Cornelius "Dutch" Warmerdam
Silver Medal - Jeff Hartwig
Bronze Medal - Stacey Dragila

All of the above are awesome pole vaulters...but Dutch takes the Gold in this one. Not only did he dominate during his tenure, but he did it with class. It was never a close contest when Dutch was in his prime. He wouldn't just win competitions, he out right owned them. The only drawback with Dutch is his lack of a gold medal in the Olympics. And the reason behind that: the U.S. Olympic team didn't participate in the games when he jumped due to world politics. Considering his sheer dominance in the sport, the records he set, and how he conducted himself...I think it's clear Dutch Warmerdam is the best American pole vaulter in history.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:30 pm

good evening

anyone know how many "top 10 in the world" rankings tully had from 1978 to 1988? or bell from 1977 to 1990?

both may have been in the top ten for 10 years straight.. pretty good accomplishment..

but warmerdam has to be #1

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

dougb
PV Whiz
Expertise: elite vaulter - Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.4 m
Favorite Vaulter: Feofanova

Unread postby dougb » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:24 am

The older I get, The better I was.

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:48 am

Its pretty cool looking at that list and seeing my coach on there a few times
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:41 am

good morning

great list..

looks like Hartwig has been in the top "five" for 10 years running.. if you count 03 to 2007..

kool

KA.. stu

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

p v

Unread postby kev44000 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:43 am

p v
Last edited by kev44000 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”