Lower Back Brace

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Lower Back Brace

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:32 pm

Has anyone used this to vault? I had to help my buddy dig trenches in his backyard over spring break. So I know I'd get a sore back with all the digging. While we were at home depot I bought one (see below). It really saved my back. Then I thought to try it while vaulting and it makes a world of difference. My posture was tall and my back wasn't sore like it usually is after vaulting. One thing though, my take-off is never under so I'm not sure how much it'll save your back if you are consistantly under. The middle of my back torques from vaulting.

Anyway, $19 at home depot to try it out.

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:37 pm

I'm thinking about picking up one of those for when I vault b/c my back has started to hurt a little once I jump a couple of times. The pain/soreness is from vaulting, but not taking off or anything. I landed shallow during practice about a month ago.

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:31 pm

This is the best athletic back brace ever made. I've used it every time I've ever strained my back to help it recover and still do almost anything.

Saunders S'port All Back Support

http://www.gonelogo.com/saunders/catalog_all.html

The newest vesrsion:

Saunders S'port Max

http://www.gonelogo.com/saunders/catalog_max.html

Alke1980
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Allison Stokke

Re: Lower Back Brace

Unread postby Alke1980 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:11 am

OUvaulterUSAF wrote:Has anyone used this to vault? I had to help my buddy dig trenches in his backyard over spring break. So I know I'd get a sore back with all the digging. While we were at home depot I bought one (Back Brace For Women). It really saved my back. Then I thought to try it while vaulting and it makes a world of difference. My posture was tall and my back wasn't sore like it usually is after vaulting. One thing though, my take-off is never under so I'm not sure how much it'll save your back if you are consistantly under. The middle of my back torques from vaulting.

Anyway, $19 at home depot to try it out.

In the past I used a back belt, it help me to recover or strain my back, now I make sure my core is strong.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:14 pm

Back pain while vaulting is an indication of incorrect technique - usually taking off under.

I would rather that the vaulter corrects his technical faults than using any "crutches" to avoid the pain caused by the bad technique.

And once injured, I would rather that the vaulter stays off the pole until fully recuperated. Otherwise, technique will be further compromised by adjusting it to avoid the pain. If these adjustments are in the direction of improved technique, then that's not an issue, but more likely than not, the adjustments will exacerbate the root problem.

But back braces used for "low impact" and "low stress" drills (not vaulting full speed) are fine, as long as there's no pain.

Kirk

Edit: Fixed a typo.
Last edited by KirkB on Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Tory
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Vaulter - Current Coach
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby Tory » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:03 pm

KirkB wrote:Back pain while vaulting is an indication of incorrect technique - usually taking off under.

Kirk

Exactly this! I've never had a vaulter whose takeoff was on or free complain about back pain. All my "under" kids eventually begin complaining about lower back pain.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”