Bamboo poles

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Fo_Sheezy
PV Nerd

Bamboo poles

Unread postby Fo_Sheezy » Sat May 10, 2003 6:00 pm

I know like a long time ago bamboo poles were used instead of fiberglass and sand pits instead of mats. So I have a question, 2 actually...where can I find pictures of people jumping on bamboo poles (for my own sick amusement) and what was so special about the bamboo poles they used...like can I just chop some bamboo from behind my house and jump with it? I know it had a pointy tip, but thats all. Did they even use a box thing back then??
Hey is that a pole in your hand or are you just happy to see me?

Fo_Sheezy
PV Nerd

Unread postby Fo_Sheezy » Sat May 10, 2003 6:02 pm

oh, FYI...I want to jump with a bamboo pole! Not in meets or anything, but like in practice to fool around on; we already wear damn helmets :mad: so its not THAT big of a risk to fool around on some bamboo... :D
Hey is that a pole in your hand or are you just happy to see me?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat May 10, 2003 6:22 pm

If you search for pole vault on eBay, there are almost always old pole vault pictures (of bamboo vaulters) for sale. Do that for about a month and save the pictures and you should see a bunch.

I have seen a few bamboo poles... they are thicker than you might think! But I dunno... I don't see why you couldn't try sand vaultng with a piece of bamboo... just wrap some tape around wherever you are going to grip.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Sun May 11, 2003 2:42 am

Fo_Sheezy wrote:we already wear damn helmets :mad: so its not THAT big of a risk to fool around on some bamboo... :D

That's exactly the wrong attitude to take when vaulting! Just because you are wearing a helmet, you're not invincible. You are still suceptible to injury, just that the likleyhood of you suffering a head trauma injury is decreased.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

interesting history

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun May 11, 2003 7:51 am

Interesting history

In 1919 there was a US patent filed for the bamboo vaulting pole. How an organic product got a patent is unusual. :confused:

I loved jumping on Bamboo and you use to get them inside the roll of new carpet. I had one that bent just like a fiberglass pole. ON day I really penetrated on the pole, it really was bending and as I continued to use it. I eventually overstressed it and it broke on a jump, the top of the pole stabbed me in the upper lip and today I have to grow a mustache to cover the scar. GRIN :D
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

BrandoAZ
PV Fan

Unread postby BrandoAZ » Sun May 11, 2003 7:09 pm

Ha! Thats what I would expect to happen if you used bamboo! :)

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”