Next Pole

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

dawson338
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Next Pole

Unread postby dawson338 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:16 pm

What would be my next pole. I weigh 143 and I am using a 13' 150 pacer fx. I am landing at the end of the coaching box. My run is a 6 step and I'm mushing the pole.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Next Pole

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:16 pm

Take a look at Jan Johnson's (Skyjumpers) Pole Chart here: http://www.vstraining.com/skyjumpers/component/content/article/93-articles/pole-vault/65-pole-progression-chart

Your pole has a relative stiffness of 31 on that chart, so my guess is that a 13-6 150 (relative stiffness = 33) might be your best bet.

But there's a lot of variables that must be considered:

1. How much do you think you'll weigh next season (assuming this season is over for you)?

2. How much do you anticipate raising your grip (if at all)? I assume you're capping your 13 footer.

3. How fast is your run? Do you plan to increase your # of steps next year (I think you should consider this)?

4. How much stronger will you be next year? Will you be weight-training off-season (again, I think you should consider this)?

5. How's your technique? Do you anticipate some major technical improvements once you get your new pole?

6. What's your budget? If it's tight, go for the 13-6 150. If it's bottomless, then get something with a relative stiffness of 32.

7. Have you asked your coach what he thinks? He's in a better position to know what you need than any of us on on PVP.

8. Do you need it immediately (for vaulting this summer)? If so, maybe something with a stiffness rating of 32 would be better.

9. Can you borrow or rent instead of buying? That's usually the best option, when you're learning quickly and going thru poles like mad.

There's probably a few more Qs that I haven't asked. Good luck!

And if you really want an expert opinion from PVP, then a vid always helps. Then we can see for ourselves how much you're mushing the pole, and how far into the pit you're landing. And how fast you are and how good your technique is - and if there's any quick fixes to it that will give you an immediate technical improvement.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:27 pm

Never mind about the vid. I just found it here: http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=55936

I would say that you can improve quite a bit in the next year, and once you do, you really will be mushing out your pole.

Since this thread is in the Equipment forum, I'll move to your thread in the Video Review forum for further comments.

But if you're going to continue practicing this summer, you don't really need a new pole yet - you have quite a bit of life left in the one you already have.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

austin_tman
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former high school vaulter, still vaulting
Lifetime Best: 12'9
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Unread postby austin_tman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:27 pm

The next logical pole would be a 13' 155 if you have one available. If you blow though that pole too, move to a 13' 160. I would recommend increasing the weight rating of the of the pole before increasing the length. You will go higher using a shorter pole with proper form than a longer pole with poor form. When the time comes that you can continually move up weight ratings and can do so with proper form, you may be ready for a 13'6 pole. I attached a pole stiffness progression chart if you would like to refer to it.

http://www.ust-essx.com/pole-resistance-chart

Best of luck,
Austin

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”