If I'm 5 lbs overweight, will pole break?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Naughty Joe
PV Newbie
Expertise: Junior year high school
Lifetime Best: 10'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

If I'm 5 lbs overweight, will pole break?

Unread postby Naughty Joe » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:13 pm

if im 5 pounds overweight, will a 13' 160 pole break while bending? if I widen my grip and have a strong plant(not hang on the pole), will it reduce the chances of breaking the pole?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: If I'm 5 lbs overweight, will pole break?

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:22 pm

Naughty Joe wrote:if im 5 pounds overweight, will a 13' 160 pole break while bending?

No. Not if your PR is 10-6 and you're swinging properly. The 160 pound rating of the pole is based on someone using it to clear a bar higher than the grip of your top hand (about 12-6 or so). It's irrelevant for someone that's just hanging on and lifting their legs over a 10-6 bar.

Naughty Joe wrote: if I widen my grip and have a strong plant(not hang on the pole), will it reduce the chances of breaking the pole?

No. This question is irrelevant if your PR is just 10-6. You shouldn't be worrying about breaking the pole. Actually, you shouldn't even be worrying about bending it. :idea:

There, I've answered your questions.

But for a male vaulter with a 10-6 PR and a 12-6 (or so) grip, you're asking the wrong questions.

Instead, you should ask: "What's the best way for a 165 pound male vaulter with a 10-6 PR to clear 11-0+? " :idea:

And I have a question for you: "What is the distance between your hands right now, and why are you thinking about widening it?" :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Naughty Joe
PV Newbie
Expertise: Junior year high school
Lifetime Best: 10'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Unread postby Naughty Joe » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:08 pm

KirkB wrote:
Naughty Joe wrote:if im 5 pounds overweight, will a 13' 160 pole break while bending?

No. Not if your PR is 10-6 and you're swinging properly. The 160 pound rating of the pole is based on someone using it to clear a bar higher than the grip of your top hand (about 12-6 or so). It's irrelevant for someone that's just hanging on and lifting their legs over a 10-6 bar.

Naughty Joe wrote: if I widen my grip and have a strong plant(not hang on the pole), will it reduce the chances of breaking the pole?

No. This question is irrelevant if your PR is just 10-6. You shouldn't be worrying about breaking the pole. Actually, you shouldn't even be worrying about bending it. :idea:

There, I've answered your questions.

But for a male vaulter with a 10-6 PR and a 12-6 (or so) grip, you're asking the wrong questions.

Instead, you should ask: "What's the best way for a 165 pound male vaulter with a 10-6 PR to clear 11-0+? " :idea:

And I have a question for you: "What is the distance between your hands right now, and why are you thinking about widening it?" :confused:

Kirk

I was bending when I cleared 10.5 ft. The reason I'm asking this is because I'm expecting the purchase of a new pole, for which to start my pole progression. I'm really going to be good this year on the right pole. My 'right' pole is probably going to be 12.5' or 13', so I am able to control the pole in the bend, penetrating. But I don't know if I should get it 160, 165, or 170 lb rating. I don't want to blow right through the pole with with a lower rating, but I don't want to get hung up and not penetrate with a heavier pole. I have a lot of questions unanswered due to the departure of a coach, not the most capable coach at that. Thanks for all the help.

Skyfly
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School and Club Coach

Unread postby Skyfly » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:57 pm

Where are you located at? Are there any places near you that might have better pole selection that might be able to let you try some different poles at a practice? There is nothing worse than buy a pole and not really having any idea if it's the right one.

monteo
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School, Club, College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby monteo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:16 pm

The other question you should be asking is "will the competition rules in my state allow me to use a pole if I"m 5 lbs over the pole weight rating?" Right now the NFHS rules will not allow it, and many states mirror those rules.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”