ESSX poles saving my back

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

homan2822
PV Newbie
Expertise: Post collegiate vaulter. Collegiate coach
Lifetime Best: 5.41m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

ESSX poles saving my back

Unread postby homan2822 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:10 am

first about me. currently the naia indoor national champion and jumped on quite a few different poles

i jumped on pacer carbons for 3 or 4 years including high school and first two years of college. not far from ordinary i started to develop low back problems through vaulting about 3 years ago. the pain turned into having 2 herniated discs that look like steak and shake burger patties on an mri.

i tried injections and just rehab and got me to a point where i would still have the shooting pain but only locked up 1 out of 3 jumps on the pacers which still sucked but made jumping possible(kinda). before beginning the season this past year i spoke to Bruce Caldwell about trying out the ESSX Recoil Advanced poles ended up buying 2 and will never go back to any other poles.

i noticed immediately when jumping with the essx poles that they way the lifted off the ground almost completely eliminated my pain and not once this season did my back lock up in a meet. ESSX poles really are much easier to jump on and I've had a bigger push off the top with them then i ever did with pacer.

in one meet this year to test if the poles really were making the difference in my back i went back to jumping on my pacers. I could not believe the shot i felt at takeoff and soreness i felt in my back after that meet, and it was enough to steady my mind and conclude ESSX is definitely the way to go.

not here to bash any other poles just want to share my experience with ESSX and let others know if your looking for a new pole or poles give them a try regardless of age skill or whatever you will not be disappointed.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”