Crack at Top of a UCS Pole

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Crack at Top of a UCS Pole

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:48 pm

I have a 15' 1" UCS pole with a crack that extends from the top of the pole to the bottom of the weight label, exactly 6". Any suggestions on how to prevent it from spreading further? I'm considering drilling a small, small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading and/or applying resin and perhaps some fiberglass fabric over the crack on the inside surface of the pole to stabilize it.
May the Force be with you!

Gary_vaulter
PV Fan
Expertise: HS/MS Coach, 81' HS State_Champ, Parent, Master's PR - 10'8" in June 2015
Lifetime Best: 13'3"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren

Re: Crack at Top of a UCS Pole

Unread postby Gary_vaulter » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:15 am

Hello.
I was just wondering how this turned out for you.
I have a UCS with a similar crack. I jumped with it a few times last year and it didn't seem to spread but I was always wondering about it.

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:03 am

I did drill the small hole at the base of the crack and painted the crack inside and out with fiberglass epoxy from a hardware store fiberglass repair kit with a thin piece of fiberglass fabric on the inside over the crack. It seems to have worked great. I had a kid using that pole all of last outdoor season and the crack did not spread. Good luck.
May the Force be with you!

Jake_Wireman
PV Newbie
Expertise: Coach
Lifetime Best: 13'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei

Unread postby Jake_Wireman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:52 pm

don't recommend using a cracked pole ever or drilling into one, Ive watched poles shatter from something small like a spike hole. also if a district, regional, or state official sees it or is aware they will most likely deem it unusable.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”