Lets Discuss Pits

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Victory Sports
PV Nerd
Expertise: Vaulter, Coach,
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Lets Discuss Pits

Unread postby Victory Sports » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:33 pm

What brand do you own?
How is the wear and tear?
Like or not like?
Best bang for the buck?
Quality to Cost?

I have had 1 UCS bought new and 4 years in it is in great condition, may need a new top pad in the next few years...
Costs of pits have rocketed in the past 4 years looking for 2nd pit.
I have also seen schools buying the Porta Pit minimum sized pits and they are done in 2-3 years, as in done I mean not safe to land, hitting concrete through the foam.

UCS?
Gill?
Richey?
Elite?
Buck Terrell?
Others?

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Re: Lets Discuss Pits

Unread postby Oldcoach » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:29 pm

Lots of Richey pits in my area- Never seen any problems with the stitching or the top pad fasteners. After about 10 years the top pad foam may become "dusty". Weather covers are really durable (much better than UCS). Base angled sections have velcro attachments to keep sections together thus no soft spots behind the box. Great pits and good people to deal with.

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby PV2020 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:32 pm

The one thing I have noticed about most all pits, regardless of the brand.

The clips that hold the top pad to the main pads always break. The rings they clip to unusually rust. The straps that hold the larger mats closer together are not very strong and come apart pretty easily. Top pads are not the strongest things on the planet, and will typically start to fray after a year or two.

Anyone know of a pit that can withstand all of those?

Victory Sports
PV Nerd
Expertise: Vaulter, Coach,
Lifetime Best: 14'6"

Unread postby Victory Sports » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:16 am

I too have heard that RIchey Is a Great Pit.
They use a nylon web and a Triangle Lock that can be replaced at the hardware store by the owner of the pit for just a few dollars.
Also heard the front buns are solid foam unlike some of the cheaper pits. I jumped on and saw my first richey pit in person and It was really well put together!

I talked to 3 college coaches that will only use Buck Terrell.
One said pound for pound they just use more foam and more product = more life and protection.
A 3 inch reversible top pad instead of 2 inch.

Elite Pits make a really good top pad denier strength is like 1500 when most are doing 1000 denier.
I have also seen their weather covers and stitching on the D rings and super solid. Dont see many of those coming off.

Anyone seen the new Gill bags, because they aren't using mesh anymore on base pads, but still cant convince me foam is good,
Highschool had two of them and neither had foam that lasted more than 4-5 years.

Heard good and bad about AAE, Foam good? Snaps on pit and weather covers not good? kids also fall through gaps alot BC of no system to strap.

I am really researching and doing some homework. Hoping to get more feedback.

Mcleodjw
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current High School Coach, M50-55 Master Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'3"

Unread postby Mcleodjw » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:46 am

I'm in the same boat.
My team is jumping and landing on a very old set of mats. I'm doing some very extensive research as to the best set for the money.

What is everyone's thought on the "First Place" brand from M-F Athletics? They have a current offer of 13, 695.00 for complete set with free shipping.

Thanks for any tips.

John
It's not who I am underneath, but what I do, that defines me.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Mcleodjw wrote:I'm in the same boat.
My team is jumping and landing on a very old set of mats. ... Thanks for any tips.

John

John, I think your situation is even worse.

This may be slightly off-topic, but this is the first time that I've noticed your avatar, which shows 2 guys on top of step ladders and a vaulter attempting to clear a bar.

I count THREE people who are in jeopardy of getting seriously hurt with this setup! :no:

If you have any influence at all in improving this unsafe situation, it would benefit all 3 of you to remedy this safety hazard!

So maybe spend some of your "pit" money on a couple of "putter-uppers"? They're less expensive (and safer) than ladders!

Just an idea. :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:31 pm

I have 2 Brand New Pit's for sale. One is 20' X 20'-6" X 28" for 9,900 The other is 20' X 23'-6" X 32" for 10,950 Both have 2" Top Pads and Weather Cover's
I guarantee you these are the best "Bang for your Buck" I will ship them anywhere in the country. PM Me if interested.

Mcleodjw
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current High School Coach, M50-55 Master Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'3"

Unread postby Mcleodjw » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Kirk,
My Avatar? That was me in 1980. Back then, there was no pole vaulting rules/standards. I had no PV coach. There were 2 coaches sprints/field events (Head Coach) and the distance coach (CrossCountry coach).

John
It's not who I am underneath, but what I do, that defines me.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Mcleodjw wrote:Kirk,
My Avatar? That was me in 1980. Back then, there was no pole vaulting rules/standards.

Ah, so my advice is a tad late! Glad you survived, John. :)

There were some rules back then (I retired from competition in 1972), but I agree that there weren't enough safety rules.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:36 am

Mcleodjw wrote:What is everyone's thought on the "First Place" brand from M-F Athletics? They have a current offer of 13, 695.00 for complete set with free shipping.

They are a private label pit, I think UCS makes them? Not sure, they could have changed manufacturers.

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:44 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
Mcleodjw wrote:What is everyone's thought on the "First Place" brand from M-F Athletics? They have a current offer of 13, 695.00 for complete set with free shipping.

They are a private label pit, I think UCS makes them? Not sure, they could have changed manufacturers.

We have a First Place. It's a good pit. My only complaint is the center pushes back too easily from the front. If they used the velcro strips to hold it together. It's 7 seasons old and used year round. Holding up well.

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:19 pm

Call one of the other equipment dealers (Bell Athletics, OnTrack, First to the Finish, etc.) and I can almost guarantee that they can get you a pit delivered for less than $13K.

The First Place pits are a fine product, but there are other options that might be less money.
Facts, Not Fiction

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”