Lifting weather cover to prevent pool

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

volunteer
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent, Volunteer
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Lifting weather cover to prevent pool

Unread postby volunteer » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:33 pm

the truss system is not heavy at all and does not leave any dimples in the 2 inch foam top at all. We have 120lb girls who can grab and move them without help. we have left the cover and trusses in place for as long as a week without it leaving a single mark in the top pad

moving them away from the pit is simple as we move the top cover and the truss system completely out of the way and place them behind our bleachers ( in the background of the pic) daily.

We put our standards in a storage building each night as well. with no help at all, I can put up the standards, place the trusses and cover the pit in 15 minutes

in any case, the truss concept arches the entire top pad and does not allow any pooling on the pad at all. Good luck with your project

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu May 28, 2015 11:45 pm

This topic was raised last year, but I just noticed this Pit Drainage Insert product today:

http://www.everythingtrackandfield.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_10152_10753_2004429_-1_2000205_2000204_2000192_ProductDisplayErrorView

For someone looking to buy instead of build, this looks like it would do the job!

It also might give some DIYers some ideas on how to build one yourself. From the pic, you can see that it doesn't need to be very big or very complicated. It's just a couple of pipes bent at right angles and fastened together! Just be sure that there's no sharp cuts on the pipe that might slice into your top pad.

If I was building this, I'd use 1/2" PVC pipe (cut a 10' length into 4 x 30" legs), with 2 x 90 degree PVC pipe corners. Then I'd add one or two more 90 degree corners to set the right angle between the 4 pipes, and then duct tape it all together. Instead of the usual grey duct tape, a high-temperature metal foil tape (the type used to seal over-the-range microwave oven vents) might last longer. You can buy all these supplies at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri May 29, 2015 12:05 am

vaultmd wrote:Beach balls work

Actually, I like vaultmd's idea even better! :idea:

What could be simpler?

But at least I've answered CowtownPV's original question about a commercial off-the-shelf product.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”