Differences in Pole Brands?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Differences in Pole Brands?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:23 pm

ras wrote:
Decamouse wrote:
Easiest way is to ignore the label placement - a 13ft 145 Spirit and a 13 ft 145 Pacer would feel almost identical if held right at the top - so for you the 13-145 Spirit to the 13-150 Pacer is the next pole up - just our of curiosity - flex numbers- 13-145 should be around 20.5 and 13-150 should be around 19.5

Interesting! So a borderline high school athlete would have a harder (approx 10 pound) time "making weight" with a Spirit than any other pole/brand?

On 13' poles and above they're similar to other brands, you just can't hold as high. So a 13'150 Skypole and 13'150 Spirit are going to feel fairly similar, if you are gripping 12'6 on both poles. You have to compare apples to apples. Yes, you can grip higher on the Skypole, which will then make it feel softer, but it takes more energy to move a higher grip into the pit.

So if you have a HS boy who grips 12' on a 13' pole, it doesn't matter where the max handhold is because he is not there. If he is gripping 12'9 on a 13'160 Skypole, then a 13'165 Spirit would be less than ideal, simply because of the max handhold rule. If he was in college, it wouldn't matter, it would be a good next pole.

On 12' and shorter poles, I find that Spirits tend to be ~10lbs stiffer than Gill poles, and are harder for HS girls to make weight. They're great poles, but I prefer other brands for the more mediocre athletes out there.

ras
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Fan, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Re: Differences in Pole Brands?

Unread postby ras » Tue May 27, 2014 3:58 pm

Right! Understand. But the point is that “everything else being equal”, the “weight boarderline” high school athlete is going to have an easier time on a non-UCS pole. Little Sally weighs 120 lbs and grips at 12’5”. She is a good high school vaulter and always gets good penetration on her 12’6” 120 lb xxx (insert non-UCS pole here). Her coach forgets to pack her favorite pole for a meet so she borrows a UCS 13’1.5” 120 and finds it too stiff. Why? Because the USC weight label position requires her to use a 6” longer pole and high school rules require her to use a 120 lb or higher weight rating.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”