Help Me Move Up Poles

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

RHPVP
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'1"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steven Hooker

Help Me Move Up Poles

Unread postby RHPVP » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi everyone,
I have been vaulting for four years and am trying to move up poles right now. I currently use a 13' 145 and need to move up poles because i crush it. When i jump i can take off swing and by the time i try to invert i have knocked off the cross bar already. My standards are always at 32 but the next pole my school has is a 13'7" 150 and is a big jump. Does anyone have any advice on how to get on it. I am 6' and am 140 i am a smaller person but put up good weight for my size.

lifecaster9
PV Wannabe
Expertise: current highschool vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Re: Help Me Move Up Poles

Unread postby lifecaster9 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Hold the larger pole at the same grip you use with the smaller pole. If you are truly crushing it like you say then just go for it. I was on a 170 13'6 crushing it as well and moved to a 14 180. The difference for me was landing nearly off the back of the pit with the smaller one to landing in the middle of the pit with the larger pole. Good luck and if you don't feel comfortable using the larger pole then don't use it! I tried moving up poles a few years back and I was not comfortable but went for it anyways. Long story short my top hand slipped off due to the stiffness and I fell on my head. Be patient and safe. If you feel like you're not ready then you probably are not. Listen to your body.
"It always seems impossible until it is done."

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”