Grip height affect on relative pole weight

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Grip height affect on relative pole weight

Unread postby GasPasser » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:16 am

I've read the discussions on how the weight rule has affected HS vaulting, and Jan Johnson's Pole progression, but I haven't been able to find a good rule of thumb for how to estimate a poles response to holding below the max grip height. I think some people use 5 lbs for each 6 inches you go down, some say 10 lbs. I'd like to hear more opinions. I'd guess it may not be linear after the first 12 inches, I'm interested in opinions on that as well.

If you hold 12 inches down on a 13 150, is it similar to using a 12 160 or perhaps a 12 170?

Is the calculus the same when holding 18 inches down? How about 24 inches down?

The same estimates could be used for progressing to a longer pole. Say you are holding at the max hand height on a 13 160 pole, and you want to use a 14 foot pole. If you wanted the same relative pole response/feel, at the same grip height used on the 13 foot pole, would you look to go 10 lbs down in pole weight rating or 20 lbs when selecting a 14 pole to try? (assuming you are not worried about vaulters weight and HS meet rules)

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Re: Grip height affect on relative pole weight

Unread postby PV2020 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:42 pm

It is about 5 pounds per 3 inches you go down (about one grip on most vaulters).

So gripping 12' on 13' 160 is the same as gripping 12' on a 13'6 150 (10 pounds per 6 inches). Jan's chart is very accurate for poles under 15' but if you go off of the flex rating for larger poles, when you get up to 15+ poles it is more like 2.5 pounds per 3 inches (5 pounds per 6 inches).

I would say it is probably pretty accurate down to 12 inches or so below the max hand grip. When you start going lower and lower the pole will just start to behave a little different as far as where it bends but I do know people that have had successful jumps with very low grips on their poles, I just prefer staying close to the top of the pole.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”