Cutting pole from top

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Mcleodjw
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current High School Coach, M50-55 Master Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'3"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Cutting pole from top

Unread postby Mcleodjw » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:01 pm

Hello Everyone,
What happens when you cut a pole from the top?
I've read that some have cut poles from the bottom with no effect.
I'm looking at a pole but the seller has cut the pole from the top.

Any tips?

John
It's not who I am underneath, but what I do, that defines me.

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Re: Cutting pole from top

Unread postby Decamouse » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:20 am

Other than losing grip hgt - and making it illegal for HS -- nothing if you compare same grip hgt before and after. As a master - if it works for you - nothing wrong with it
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:25 pm

This is an example of where cutting the pole has reduced its resale value. Had the pole not been cut, John would not have been hesitant in buying the pole.

I suppose if you never intend to resell the pole, then there's no harm in the top being cut (definitely don't cut the bottom).

I don't think vaulters should fall in love with particular poles. Rather, they should treat them as commodities - buying and selling them according to ensuring that they have a good SERIES of poles that match their current (and anticipated) speeds and grips. So my advise is to ALWAYS consider resale value before you cut your pole.

In HS, I cut the top of one of my poles off, only to improve my technique to the point where I was capping the pole. Had I not cut it, I'm sure I would have (and COULD have) gripped higher. I lost that choice the day I cut it down.

Have you ever noticed how long the poles were that steel vaulters used in the 1950s? Even in the Olympics, some vaulters used poles that were 2-3 feet above their grip. I'm not suggesting that we should all resort back to that, but it does make you wonder why we fret over having a few inches of extra length above our grips. Should we really be that worried about a few inches (a few grams) of "dead weight"? I think not.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:27 pm

This is an example of where cutting the pole has reduced its resale value. Had the pole not been cut, John would not have been hesitant in buying the pole.

I suppose if you never intend to resell the pole, then there's no harm in the top being cut (definitely don't cut the bottom, and don't invert the pole after you cut it).

I don't think vaulters should fall in love with particular poles. Rather, they should treat them as commodities - buying and selling them according to ensuring that they have a good SERIES of poles that match their current (and anticipated) speeds and grips. So my advice is to ALWAYS consider resale value before you cut your pole.

In HS, I cut the top of one of my poles off, only to improve my technique to the point where I was capping the pole. Had I not cut it, I'm sure I would have (and COULD have) gripped higher. I lost that choice the day I cut it down.

Have you ever noticed how long the poles were that steel vaulters used in the 1950s? Even in the Olympics, some vaulters used poles that were 2-3 feet above their grip. I'm not suggesting that we should all resort back to that, but it does make you wonder why we fret over having a few inches of extra length above our grips. Should we really be that worried about a few inches (a few grams) of "dead weight"? I think not.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:30 pm

I suppose if you never intend to resell the pole, then there's no harm in cutting the top off (definitely don't cut the bottom).

I don't think vaulters should fall in love with particular poles. Rather, they should treat them as commodities - buying and selling them according to ensuring that they have a good SERIES of poles that match their current (and anticipated) speeds and grips. So my advice is to ALWAYS consider resale value before you cut your poles.

And don't assume that you'll never raise your grip much. Actually, you should assume the opposite.

In HS, I cut the top of one of my poles off, but shortly thereafter, I improved my technique to the point where I was capping the pole. Had I not cut it, I'm sure I would have (and COULD have) gripped higher. I lost that choice the day I cut it down.

Have you ever noticed how long the poles were that steel vaulters used in the 1950s? Even in the Olympics, some vaulters used poles that were a couple of feet above their grip. I'm not suggesting that we should all resort back to that, but it does make you wonder why we fret over having a few inches of extra length above our grips. Should we really be that worried about a few inches (a few grams) of "dead weight"? I think not.

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”