Cutting a broken pole?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Cutting a broken pole?

Unread postby GasPasser » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 pm

I have a pole that has damage about a foot down from the top. Looks like it got closed in a door or something. It's a 14' 145 Spirit. I'm thinking of cutting the top foot off. As a Master's vaulter, I don't need to preserve the weight band to use it. So if I chop it, I'll essentially end up with a 13' 165.

Two Questions
1) Right now, I'm only holding at 12' - working on holding higher as my run and confidence improve. Given a 12' hand-hold height on a 14' pole, I'm likely going to be holding near the top of the sail piece. Once I cut the top foot off, should I flip the pole and put the tip on the top (and sail piece closer to the ground)? I'm assuming that after the cut, the sail piece is now closer to the top than the bottom and I should reverse that. Am I way off-base with my thinking?

2) Any reason why I should not cut the pole and carry the "dead glass" around?

Thanks for the help.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Cutting a broken pole?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:38 am

GasPasser wrote:Two Questions
1) Right now, I'm only holding at 12' - working on holding higher as my run and confidence improve. Given a 12' hand-hold height on a 14' pole, I'm likely going to be holding near the top of the sail piece. Once I cut the top foot off, should I flip the pole and put the tip on the top (and sail piece closer to the ground)? I'm assuming that after the cut, the sail piece is now closer to the top than the bottom and I should reverse that. Am I way off-base with my thinking?

2) Any reason why I should not cut the pole and carry the "dead glass" around?

No, do not turn it upside down. Th sail piece is shaped like a trapezoid, but I don't know if they cut it at the same angles on both ends, if that makes sense. Some people might recommend that you trim some off the bottom of the pole instead.

The dead glass has all the pole info etched in.

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Re: Cutting a broken pole?

Unread postby Decamouse » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 am

Do not turn it around -- the pole (mandrel they are made on is tapered) diameter is largest at tip and smallest at top -- big difference in flex rating - pole would bend low - would be very dangerous
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”