Tennis Balls?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:27 am

My coach has done that stuff with tennis ball for awhile now with us, he has a stake driven right through the middle of it.

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:01 pm

my friend makes origami flowers and the puts them on sticks ... makes the runway look all colorful!

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:15 pm

Kris and Becca, don't get mad at me, but I'm kinda with Eddy on this one, when you get old and have to shuffle up and down the runway looking at a clipboard, eventually you are going to kick one of those tennis balls and lose someones' mid mark. My wish is for an inexpensive way to paint along side the runway a tape measure, I saw one at the indoor facility at the university of indiana. Becca does have the coolest tennis balls though. I used to use these little strips of brightly colored rubber they use in gym classes, they laid flat and didn't get kicked around. I would like to find some more of those strips, I would much rather buy those and use them for markers.
compete and jump safe, have fun

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:07 am

belmore wrote:Kris and Becca, don't get mad at me, but I'm kinda with Eddy on this one, when you get old and have to shuffle up and down the runway looking at a clipboard, eventually you are going to kick one of those tennis balls and lose someones' mid mark. My wish is for an inexpensive way to paint along side the runway a tape measure, I saw one at the indoor facility at the university of indiana. Becca does have the coolest tennis balls though. I used to use these little strips of brightly colored rubber they use in gym classes, they laid flat and didn't get kicked around. I would like to find some more of those strips, I would much rather buy those and use them for markers.

We take the risk of the tennis balls getting moved by accident. I plan on getting some colored tape to put under the tennis balls in case someone moves one, but I usually know where the marks are.

And thanks for the compliment on my beautiful tennis balls :P

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:05 am

Yeah, we had one get kicked last weekend and it screwed my decat up. They're really convenient in a practice situation, b/c we move our marks around a lot, and they're much more convenient than tape, plus lots of different colors to differentiate. I hate tape b/c it leaves residue on the runway, and it's expensive. I get tennis balls for free, so the price is right. I try to tell everyone to put tape underneath them at meets in case they do get kicked, but sometimes they forget to. I really like those 3" mini cones, but they're expensive. It's nice to have something 3D and really visible for a check mark you're steering for on the runway. I like runways with grass alongside them that you can stick some sort of marker with a spike down into, but lots of our bigger stadiums like UT don't have grass around the runway.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:36 pm

Does anyone remember those little rubber strips? They were bright neon colors and were real soft and sort of stuck to surfaces, they were handy. I knew I would get a response from Becca and Kris. Tennis balls are cool, do need to put some tape under them though.
compete and jump safe, have fun

gbob
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gbob » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:30 pm

Becca... we used to use racquetball "halves" both on the runway and for relay exchange "acceleration" marks... without discussing all the hoohaa about what works and what doesnt, whats legal and not, i just thought I would pass this along. they are much easier to add your "artwork" to, and as with tennis balls, they come in a variety of colors as well.

just wanted to add my two cents!

gbob

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:57 pm

gbob wrote:Becca... we used to use racquetball "halves" both on the runway and for relay exchange "acceleration" marks... without discussing all the hoohaa about what works and what doesnt, whats legal and not, i just thought I would pass this along. they are much easier to add your "artwork" to, and as with tennis balls, they come in a variety of colors as well.

just wanted to add my two cents!

gbob

Oooh thanks for the idea! :star:

Markpv314
PV Beginner

Unread postby Markpv314 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:53 pm

I took a piece of broken pole (about 6'' to 1 foot) and stuck a screw driver in it that fit perfectly. The screw driver goes in the ground and the pole sticks up to mark my step. I love it.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:31 am

I have numbers on my tennis ball halves. They correspond to the number of lefts that they mark. I have been concerned that they could be moved accidently so I sometimes put a piece of tape down also, although I'm not sure that does much good.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”