broken pole-onto new pole

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

bzugar
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'4"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Shawn Barber

broken pole-onto new pole

Unread postby bzugar » Fri May 03, 2013 8:49 am

So yesterday at practice the pole i've been jumping on for the past month or so was broken by my teamate, who also practices on it, by accident. it was a 13'6" 170 skypole and i was holding probably 13'3". The closest pole we have is a 13'6" 175 skypole. i've jumped on it once or twice before but never got that much experience with it. i took 2-3 jumps on it yesterday they werent bad but im not sure how im going to do in my meet today. Any advice

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: broken pole-onto new pole

Unread postby KirkB » Fri May 03, 2013 8:43 pm

With a PR of 11-0, your 13-3 grip may have been too high anyway.

Lower your grip on the 175, and you should be fine.

Start by lowering it 2 fist-widths below 13-3. If you sail well into (or past) the Coach's Box with that grip, then raise it a fist.

Don't worry about bending the pole. Just set your standards at 80 (32.5") and focus on a fast run, and good takeoff, and a good swing.

I wouldn't worry about gripping any higher than 13-0 on the 175 unless you're landing past the Coach's Box.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”