Anyone Know Anything About This Spike?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

vault-official
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach, Club Coach, Certified PV Official
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Anyone Know Anything About This Spike?

Unread postby vault-official » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:05 pm

I've been seeing this spike a lot lately, but I can't find it anywhere and none of the stores know anything about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I know it's not a Christmas tree, but that's what it reminds me of. The length is 3/8 in.
Attachments
spike.jpg
spike.jpg (29.88 KiB) Viewed 7494 times

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Anyone Know Anything About This Spike?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:39 am

A variation of a Christmas tree maybe? Most tracks don't allow spikes that long, and many only allow pyramids.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Anyone Know Anything About This Spike?

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:50 am

It is a compression spike they came out for high jump. I think last year or relatively recently they came out because of the way the Nike High Jump spikes are made. The high jump spike's spike hole is set back farther in the shoe due to the thicker rubber bottom of the shoe so they need a longer spike. Some high jumpers like the compression spike over the pyramid because they just press in and almost feel like they offer "bounce".

However most tracks still just treat them as Christmas trees and do not allow them if they do not allow Christmas tress. However most places that only allow 1/4 inch pyramids will allow high jumpers to have 3/8 pyramids because of the way the spike sits so far into the shoe (if they were to use the 1/4 inch spike it would not all stick above the thick rubber of the spike plate).

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”