Vault Box Collar in Europe

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

atlegu
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent, former high school vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 3,70
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sondre and Simen Guttormsen

Vault Box Collar in Europe

Unread postby atlegu » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:28 pm

It might sound strange for an American. But I have never seen a Vault Box Collar in Scandinavia (other than the one I brought from California myself). But now Nordic Sport has made two versions for sale.

This "standard" version

http://www.nordicsport.com/product/4136 ... Box_Collar

and the one with wing (isn´t this close to a copy of the SafetyMax)

http://www.nordicsport.com/product/4136 ... with_wings

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Vault Box Collar in Europe

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:40 pm

The second one, the one with wings, just looks like the standard UCS one that has the wings to keep the box from sliding (you can Velcro it to the box if you really want). It says additional padding on the Nordic page but it does not go much farther than what appears to be about an inch into the box. The safetymax collar almost fills the entire side of the box except where the pole may roll to in the front.

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Re: Vault Box Collar in Europe

Unread postby superpipe » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:08 pm

Those Nordic Sport collars come in two pieces. Ha. Guess they didn't test that very well. Most annoying thing about box collars is they move all over the place ( not including Jan Johnson's SafetyMax one ). I've never tried the UCS one, but I can't see how those "tabs" help much. I have no idea how they "attach" to the plant box. Velcro is the way to go. I did this on my raised runway and I've had kids come crashing down form 13' right onto it and it didn't budge. I was amazed at how well it worked. Made my otherwise generic, flimsy box collar, seem like a padded platform that could handle anything. I used 2" wide industrial velcro on all 3 sides. I had to super glue the velcro onto the box collar vinyl to keep it on there when removing the collar. I personally didn't have to super glue the velcro around the plant box, but you might have to so it doesn't peel up when removing the box collar.
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”