Got a new pole!

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Got a new pole!

Unread postby fishman4god » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:18 pm

Well I got a new pole 15'160 Spirit.................promptly cut 8" inches off the bottom and it works like a dream! really smooth and nice high bend. Anyone else have experience with cut spirits?

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Re: Got a new pole!

Unread postby coachjvinson » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:13 am

sweet!! :yes: :yes:
PURSUITOF2016

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby PV2020 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:11 am

fishman4god wrote:Well I got a new pole 15'160 Spirit.................promptly cut 8" inches off the bottom and it works like a dream! really smooth and nice high bend. Anyone else have experience with cut spirits?

Congrats on the new pole... but... why would someone ruin a perfectly good pole? The bottom of a pole is the thickest for a reason, it takes a beating against the back of the box. Cutting the bottom 8 inches off also essentially lowers the sale piece 8 inches, so if anything it should have a lower bend then you would have had if it was not a cut pole. And now if a high school kid (I know you are not) ever wants to use it, you now have a 14'4 pole that he is not allowed to grip any higher than 13'10 or so on.

.. i just do not understand some peoples reasoning behind things

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:12 am

PV2020 wrote: And now if a high school kid (I know you are not) ever wants to use it, you now have a 14'4 pole that he is not allowed to grip any higher than 13'10 or so on.

The pole is no longer legal for a high schooler, period.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter

Unread postby fishman4god » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:36 am

Well you are right no high school kids.......and I beg to differ but a lower sail piece(more material) will make the pole bend higher not lower(essxpoles) are a good example of high bend lower sail piece. A lot of us old timers cut our poles for lots of reasons and this pole is for personal(old guy) use only. The younger gen vaulters don't get it but you can't buy a pole(as cheap) as I got this one and I like a higher bend. Spirits are tougher than other brands and will allow more bend throughout the pole chord also without breaking. Anyway that is what some of us older guys do............either way they work well just different. Thanks for the comments!

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Was that a political advertisement -- some urban legend -- not sure I would believe it all -- but -- if it works for him - thats all that matters
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:07 am

Nope not politics or a legend just the way it is. Not for everyone but yet again you might like one if you jumped on one. Pole design has changed a lot in 50 plus years and a cut pole feels more like what I am used to and other old guys feel the same. Not all of them........just some! Thanks for the input.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”