Unusual Break.........

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

OK PLEASE READ THE WARNINGS ON POLE USAGE

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:02 pm

Do not bend the pole in the box! This means the wall too!
The reinforcement of the pole does not go up into the hand grip area so when someone levers the pole with this method of so called;
Warming the pole
Checking the pole
Flexing the pole
of which none of these provides any value.
You can stress an area between the hands that normally does not receive levering pressure.
If someone flexes your pole in the box and levers the pole to an over stressed phase the pole can break between your handgrip.

However there is another reason why a pole will break between the hands.
This is the area that hits the crossbar on warm-up jumps before the meet when you abort the jump. When the pole hits a low crossbar the ding can weaken the pole in some cases and also when the pole hits the ground this area is exposed the most.

So PLEASE STP those poles!!!! Stop Those Poles
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

xtremevaulter

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:56 pm

I too have had the Pole Break in the middle of my hand but mine was due to over stressing the pole and pulling down with my top hand

Lesson Learned I think Yes.

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:13 pm

why don't you just do the plant drills into the box? Get a big pole, go two or three lefts out, come down, plant, and then get your spot back down onto the runway. This should eliminate any extra pressure on the top area of the pole b/c you're basically doing the exact same thing as the first part of the vault. Plus you get a better take off angle and don't lose your hips as fast.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”